How to incorporate changes to a VCL source? Please help!

Hello,

How do I PROPERLY incorporate changes to a VCL source?  I made a few
changes to TTrackBar in comctrls.pas and having problem updating the
dcl.

I compiled comctrls.pas and put comctrls.dcu into the lib\ directory.
Then I rebuilt the library.  The changes took and everything seems to
work fine.  The problem is that now the de{*word*81} keeps tracing right
into comctrls.pas.  This is very annoying since comctrls is used so
often that virtually every line of my code causes a trace into
comctrls.pas.

So I moved comctrls.pas out of the lib\ dir.  But now the de{*word*81}
complains that it can't find comctrls.pas!  How do I tell it to stop
looking for the file?

I've tried everything I can think of.  I removed stdreg from the
library and added it back.  I tried adding comctrls.pas to the
library.  I restored my original .dcl and rebuilt.  I deleted every
new file I found in bin\ and lib\ and rebuilt.  I still get the same
thing.  The de{*word*81} still looks for comctrls.pas to trace into it.

At this point, I'm ready to give up and re-install delphi.  Can
someone help?

TIA

-- luu

Re:How to incorporate changes to a VCL source? Please help!

This is STRICTLY A GUESS, but do you have the $D, $L, and $Y compiler
options turned off when you compile comctrls?  Sounds like $D must be on if
you can trace into comctrls.pas.  Try turning them all off and see what
happens...

Luu Tran <luut...@sci.csupomona.edu> wrote in article
<5hji7u$...@netline-fddi.jpl.nasa.gov>...

luut...@sci.csupomona.edu (Luu Tran) wrote:
>How do I PROPERLY incorporate changes to a VCL source?  I made a few
>changes to TTrackBar in comctrls.pas and having problem updating the
>dcl.
>I compiled comctrls.pas and put comctrls.dcu into the lib\ directory.
>Then I rebuilt the library.  The changes took and everything seems to
>work fine.  The problem is that now the de{*word*81} keeps tracing right
>into comctrls.pas.  This is very annoying since comctrls is used so
>often that virtually every line of my code causes a trace into
>comctrls.pas.

[snip]

>At this point, I'm ready to give up and re-install delphi.  Can
>someone help?

Hopefully this doesn't come too late... ;-)

Simply make sure you compile the COMCTRLS unit *without* any debugging
information. In the IDE, make sure that no debugging options are on in
the Options/Compiler tab. If you are using command line tools, make
sure your code has the {$D-, L-, Y-} options (if I remember correctly)
set.

Regards,

Jani J?rvinen
a.k.a SilverStream Software
Helsinki Finland

Tools, information, tips, reviews & bug lists
for professional Delphi, Win32 and WinHelp developers.

mailto:ja...@dystopia.fi
http://www.dystopia.fi/~janij/

Other Threads