Delphi 3 to Oracle 7.3 problems. Help!

I was trying to connect to an Oracle server from within Delphi.  A Database
administrator has installed the Oracle Client on a Windows 95 Machine and I
was able to do SQL using Oracle*SQL Plus 3.2 on the machine withourt any
problem. The Oracle Administrator have created the oracle database alias
for me. I can connect to it, create tables, add data, etc., all from within
Oracle SQL Plus.  Then I used BDE administrator to configure an alias for
Delphi, I am using Delphi 3 C/S (BDE 4.51). The Oracle server is Oracle7
Server Release 7.3.2.1.0.  So I clicked on the configuration tab of the BDE
admin, clicked on native drivers, and then to Oracle.  I selected the
ORA73.DLL as the VENDOR INIT, and of course I supplied the USER NAME that I
used when connecting using the SQL Plus utility. The rest of the settings,
I did not touch (default settings as they are). Then I added an alias, used
ORACLE as my driver name, supplied the Server Name with the Database Name
created for me by the DBA. I used the net protocol TCP/IP.

Now when I tried to connect to it from within Delphi by dropping a table
and set the database name to my Alias created in BDE, and then when I tried
to set the Table Name, I was prompted for log in and so supplied the
password, but then  I get this kind of error:

        Vendor Initialization Failed
        BDE Error 15879

Can somebody tell me where to go from here? Or point out the possible cause
of this error so that I may be able to correct for this and ultimately have
my connection from Delphi? I have tried using different Drivers such as
ORA72.DLL but still get the same kind of error. Please help.

Re:Delphi 3 to Oracle 7.3 problems. Help!

My memory of this error is that it occurs when the DLL specified in the
Vendor Init cannot be found via the path statement. Make sure that your
ORAWIN95\BIN directory is specified in your path statement in AUTOEXEC.BAT

Simon

Re:Delphi 3 to Oracle 7.3 problems. Help!

Which version of the Oracle ODBC are you using?  We have had problems with
the BDE/ODBC if we use anything other than the Oracle ODBC ver. 2.5...

Cheers,
Cyd

Joselito G. Real wrote in message

<01be289c$bd20b880$4127a2d1@z-reajos-pc>...

>I was trying to connect to an Oracle server from within Delphi.  A Database
>administrator has installed the Oracle Client on a Windows 95 Machine and I
>was able to do SQL using Oracle*SQL Plus 3.2 on the machine withourt any
>problem. The Oracle Administrator have created the oracle database alias
>for me. I can connect to it, create tables, add data, etc., all from within
>Oracle SQL Plus.  Then I used BDE administrator to configure an alias for
>Delphi, I am using Delphi 3 C/S (BDE 4.51). The Oracle server is Oracle7
>Server Release 7.3.2.1.0.  So I clicked on the configuration tab of the BDE
>admin, clicked on native drivers, and then to Oracle.  I selected the
>ORA73.DLL as the VENDOR INIT, and of course I supplied the USER NAME that I
>used when connecting using the SQL Plus utility. The rest of the settings,
>I did not touch (default settings as they are). Then I added an alias, used
>ORACLE as my driver name, supplied the Server Name with the Database Name
>created for me by the DBA. I used the net protocol TCP/IP.

>Now when I tried to connect to it from within Delphi by dropping a table
>and set the database name to my Alias created in BDE, and then when I tried
>to set the Table Name, I was prompted for log in and so supplied the
>password, but then  I get this kind of error:

> Vendor Initialization Failed
> BDE Error 15879

>Can somebody tell me where to go from here? Or point out the possible cause
>of this error so that I may be able to correct for this and ultimately have
>my connection from Delphi? I have tried using different Drivers such as
>ORA72.DLL but still get the same kind of error. Please help.

Re:Delphi 3 to Oracle 7.3 problems. Help!

Set your net protocol to TNS and also make sure that the <orahome>\bin
directory is in your path.  The Oracle tools will run just fine without
it in the path, but other tools won't find the relavent OCI dll's.

Jeff Overcash

"Joselito G. Real" wrote:

> I was trying to connect to an Oracle server from within Delphi.  A Database
> administrator has installed the Oracle Client on a Windows 95 Machine and I
> was able to do SQL using Oracle*SQL Plus 3.2 on the machine withourt any
> problem. The Oracle Administrator have created the oracle database alias
> for me. I can connect to it, create tables, add data, etc., all from within
> Oracle SQL Plus.  Then I used BDE administrator to configure an alias for
> Delphi, I am using Delphi 3 C/S (BDE 4.51). The Oracle server is Oracle7
> Server Release 7.3.2.1.0.  So I clicked on the configuration tab of the BDE
> admin, clicked on native drivers, and then to Oracle.  I selected the
> ORA73.DLL as the VENDOR INIT, and of course I supplied the USER NAME that I
> used when connecting using the SQL Plus utility. The rest of the settings,
> I did not touch (default settings as they are). Then I added an alias, used
> ORACLE as my driver name, supplied the Server Name with the Database Name
> created for me by the DBA. I used the net protocol TCP/IP.

> Now when I tried to connect to it from within Delphi by dropping a table
> and set the database name to my Alias created in BDE, and then when I tried
> to set the Table Name, I was prompted for log in and so supplied the
> password, but then  I get this kind of error:

>         Vendor Initialization Failed
>         BDE Error 15879

> Can somebody tell me where to go from here? Or point out the possible cause
> of this error so that I may be able to correct for this and ultimately have
> my connection from Delphi? I have tried using different Drivers such as
> ORA72.DLL but still get the same kind of error. Please help.

Re:Delphi 3 to Oracle 7.3 problems. Help!

Joselito,

Try setting your BDE alias name to [Oracle TNS name].world - example:

TNS Name = Pax5Dummy
Alias = Pax5Dummy.world

That works for us.

Also, as the other poster mentioned, don't set the protocal to TCP/IP as
that's SQL*Net's job to handle.  Use TNS or leave it blank.

Hope this helps

Jim Stanley
Jacobs Engineering
Pasadena CA USA