Performance between IB 6.5 and SQL server 2000?

Hi,
Does anyone know of any documents describing the performance difference
between IB 6.5 and SQL Server 2000? Or does anyone know the performance
differences?
Thanks,

Djindo

Re:Performance between IB 6.5 and SQL server 2000?

This is not hard facts, but I think if you run IB on linux you will get
similar performance.
IB is lacking a lot of the functions that are built into MS SQL

Tony Caduto

In article <3cf3f1db$1_2@dnews>, tony.cad...@micorp.com says...
> This is not hard facts, but I think if you run IB on linux you will get
> similar performance.

        If you run IB and SQL Server on Linux, IB will be considerably
faster.  :)

        -Craig

     InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):
          http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:Performance between IB 6.5 and SQL server 2000?

> Does anyone know of any documents describing the performance difference
> between IB 6.5 and SQL Server 2000? Or does anyone know the performance
> differences?

There's a lot of difference between the databases.
MSSQL Server (7.0 and 2000) is MUCH faster on SELECT queries which returns a
lot of data and sorting not on an indexed column.
INSERTS, DELETES and UPDATES are much faster on IB.
This is globaly the difference i see on the same METADATA and DATA tested on
Linux and Windows.

But what do you want ?

Regards,
Arno

Re:Performance between IB 6.5 and SQL server 2000?

I am currently using IB and I am having some performance issues on big
queries (SELECT statement between 4 joined tables). Tables have up to a
million records. I was wondering if using MSSQL would provide more power. Do
you know of any benchmarks between the two databases?
thanks,
Djindo

"Arno Brinkman" <bnewsgro...@abvisie.nl> wrote in message

> Hi,

> > Does anyone know of any documents describing the performance difference
> > between IB 6.5 and SQL Server 2000? Or does anyone know the performance
> > differences?

> There's a lot of difference between the databases.
> MSSQL Server (7.0 and 2000) is MUCH faster on SELECT queries which returns
> lot of data and sorting not on an indexed column.
> INSERTS, DELETES and UPDATES are much faster on IB.
> This is globaly the difference i see on the same METADATA and DATA tested
on
> Linux and Windows.

> But what do you want ?

> Regards,
> Arno

Re:Performance between IB 6.5 and SQL server 2000?

If you post the metadata for the four tables, the SQL statement and
the query plan we might be able to help you improve performance.

On Wed, 29 May 2002 08:29:03 -0400, "Djindo LEE"

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Performance between IB 6.5 and SQL server 2000?

your right about that :-)

> If you run IB and SQL Server on Linux, IB will be considerably
> faster.  :)

> -Craig

Re:Performance between IB 6.5 and SQL server 2000?

> I am currently using IB and I am having some performance issues on big
> queries (SELECT statement between 4 joined tables). Tables have up to a
> million records. I was wondering if using MSSQL would provide more power.
Do
> you know of any benchmarks between the two databases?
> thanks,

I can't tell you any benchmarks with millions records.
With thousends MSSQL is already much faster as IB this is visually to see.
A simple SELECT with 3 JOINS and ~6800 records and fetching all is on IB
~7.0 seconds, MSSQL ~2.0 seconds.
Where the FetchAll costs the most time on IB (6.5 and 6.0.2) and MSSQL 2000.
All tested on the same machine with the same metadata / data and both using
cash from previous execute.
But as Bill wrote post your METADATA and maybe there's something to with it.
Have you used right PK's, FK's and indexes.

Regards,
Arno

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] <cstu...@nospamplease.vertexsoftware.com> wrote:

>    If you run IB and SQL Server on Linux, IB will be considerably
> faster.  :)

No, I think that MS SQL will crash before IB...  8-)

Paul...

>    -Craig

Other Threads