Working with Paradox/Access databases without BDE

I have been using BDE to work with Paradox tables in a CGI application.
However, when the application is accessed many times (about 20), the BDE
crashes with the following error.

My application will be accessed by about many users simultaneously. It seems
the BDE is not suitable for this. Can someone please tell me what is the
best way for me to access Password protected Paradox 8 tables without using
BDE. I am thinking of using ODBC98 to work with the tables (using InterSolv
3.11 Connect ODBC Paradox Drivers). So far I have not had much luck this
way. Can someone please give me a good approach to write my CGI application
that does not use BDE to work with Paradox-8 tables.

I am also considering using Access as the database instead of Paradox. But
the major problem I have with Access is that when I convert a 2K Paradox
file to Access, it becomes a 90K MDB file. The file size is too big! I need
to keep the Access file size small.

Re:Working with Paradox/Access databases without BDE

AFAIK, the BDE support of paradox is nearly perfect, 20 user accessing will
not be the reason to crash the BDE if your BDE setting is o.k, did you set
the local share to true? did you install too many protocol in each
workstation? get only the needed one installed, this will help.

To my experience, Paradox and access has their respective advantage and
disadvantage, paradox is absolutely fast, easy to deploy db, while access is
a maintainable, stable but a little bit slower and more trouable to deploy
db, although msaccess db size is bigger than pdx, it worth using. BTW, I am
considering the 3rd party db component such as the Diamond Access and Titan
Access to increase the msaccess accessing speed, it is said that, they are
faster than BDE about 8-9 times.

David Ting

Melissa Lange ???g??31 <76njuf$5k...@forums.borland.com>...

>I have been using BDE to work with Paradox tables in a CGI application.
>However, when the application is accessed many times (about 20), the BDE
>crashes with the following error.

>My application will be accessed by about many users simultaneously. It
seems
>the BDE is not suitable for this. Can someone please tell me what is the
>best way for me to access Password protected Paradox 8 tables without using
>BDE. I am thinking of using ODBC98 to work with the tables (using InterSolv
>3.11 Connect ODBC Paradox Drivers). So far I have not had much luck this
>way. Can someone please give me a good approach to write my CGI application
>that does not use BDE to work with Paradox-8 tables.

>I am also considering using Access as the database instead of Paradox. But
>the major problem I have with Access is that when I convert a 2K Paradox
>file to Access, it becomes a 90K MDB file. The file size is too big! I need
>to keep the Access file size small.

Other Threads