Lock-ups

I'm not sure if this is an installation issue or not, but here goes -- An
application exception (just about any) that will properly show a exception
dialog on the computer I use at the office will instead completely
freeze/lock-up the computer I have at my home office (which is actually
quite a bit newer and more powerful).  This is a recent installation of
Delphi 4 C/S, with DP 2 applied.

As a recent example, after getting total lock-ups after a change to an
application at home, I tried the modified version on the office computer got
the standard dialog "Project Xxxxxx.exe raised exception class
EAccessViolation with message 'Access violation at address 004F8FB2 in
module 'XXXXXX.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF'. Process stopped.  Use Step
or Run to continue."  I then was able to see the problem in the code, get
around it and continue.

Another probably related problem is that I can't set any breakpoints in
event handlers without triggering the same lock-up sequence.  (I actually
returned an earlier self-purchased copy of D4 Pro because of the
interminable lock-ups, not realizing at the time that it might have been
specific to my computer setup.)

Anyway, does anyone have an idea of what I set wrong or what setup change I
can make so that I can see normal error messages instead of computer
lockups?

Thanks,
Ed

Re:Lock-ups

Ed,

It is possible that you are experiencing a video driver conflict, though I have
not heard of it happening this way.  Does the same problem happen when you run
the application outside of the IDE?  Does the same thing happen if you turn down
your video hardware acceleration to None?

If the latter is true, then it is likely a video driver conflict.  In any case,
make sure you have Update 2 installed.

Please post back with responses to these questions.
--
------------------------
Richard

Re:Lock-ups

Hi, Richard:

You wrote in message <3687EA48.A9F6F...@inprise.com>...
>Ed,

>It is possible that you are experiencing a video driver conflict, though I
have
>not heard of it happening this way.  Does the same problem happen when you
run
>the application outside of the IDE?  Does the same thing happen if you turn
down
>your video hardware acceleration to None?

>If the latter is true, then it is likely a video driver conflict.  In any
case,
>make sure you have Update 2 installed.

>Please post back with responses to these questions.

Thanks for your response.

First question -- No, the problem does not occur when I run the application
directly!  Even when the IDE is running at the same time.  (Actually, I
never thought I'd be so happy to see a standard error dialog.)

Second question -- Unfortunately no, turning the video hardware acceleration
to None makes no difference when running the application from the IDE.  The
machine freezes big time.  By the way, a similar situation can occur if I do
something like put a picture mask on a field and then make a data entry
"error" when running the application.  In that case, the computer will start
beeping as it freezes, continuing the beeping until the machine is turned
off.  I tried your suggestion about seeing if the problem exists when the
application is run outside the IDE, and the problem goes away, with just a
single beep and a polite message box pointing out the entry error.

And yes, Update 2 is installed.

Regards,
Ed

Re:Lock-ups

Ed,

Things to do now:

Try turning the "Break on exception" option off.  If that fixes everything, then
something is not working correctly about the de{*word*81}, which may be the case
anyhow.

Post your problem to the borland.public.delphi.ide newsgroup as well (but do not
crosspost).

Submit it as a possible bug via our website
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi
--
------------------------
Richard
Delphi Developer Support
www.inprise.com
(I do not respond to support questions by e-mail)

Re:Lock-ups

Thanks, Richard:

I turned off the "Break on exception" option as you suggested -- that seems
to have done it!  Not an ideal situation, perhaps, but at this point I'm
just grateful to be back in business.

Thanks again for your help.
Ed

Richard [Inprise] wrote in message <36891A97.9EC83...@inprise.com>...
>Ed,

>Things to do now:

>Try turning the "Break on exception" option off.  If that fixes everything,
then
>something is not working correctly about the de{*word*81}, which may be the
case
>anyhow.

>Post your problem to the borland.public.delphi.ide newsgroup as well (but
do not
>crosspost).

>Submit it as a possible bug via our website
>http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi
>--
>Richard
>Delphi Developer Support
>www.inprise.com
>(I do not respond to support questions by e-mail)

Other Threads