Changing screens and click buttons uses and doesn't return memory

I have a application that when clicking buttons and opening screens the memory (viewed via task manager in Win NT4) goes up.  When I return to the main screen the memory doesn't return to what it was before clicking or changing screens.  I have used memory sleuth from turbopower but it doesn't report any changes!  Does anyone know what may be happening.  I'm using Delphi 4.  This application is a long term run app so several months maybe required and increases in memory usuage is a concern.

Re:Changing screens and click buttons uses and doesn't return memory

"Jeshua" <jesh...@elpro.com.au> wrote in news:3b6601aa$1_2@dnews:

> I have a application that when clicking buttons and opening screens the
> memory (viewed via task manager in Win NT4) goes up.  When I return to
> the main screen the memory doesn't return to what it was before
> clicking or changing screens.  I have used memory sleuth from
> turbopower but it doesn't report any changes!  Does anyone know what
> may be happening.  I'm using Delphi 4.  This application is a long term
> run app so several months maybe required and increases in memory usuage
> is a concern.

Memory allocators generally work by enlarging the virtual address space to
create large chunks of memory. From these, it allocates and returns the
chunks for applications. The allocators generally do not shrink the virtual
address space once memory is returned.

If your memory sleuth says you are not losing memory then take its word.

Re:Changing screens and click buttons uses and doesn't return memory

Thanks,

That makes sense.  Another interesting thing I found was that when
minimising lots of memory was returned and maximising brought the levels up
again (but not to the same level).  I suppose that the virtual memory is
returned when minimising and as the app requires it more memory is
allocated.

"Flavius Vespasianus" <n...@nl.com> wrote in message

> "Jeshua" <jesh...@elpro.com.au> wrote in news:3b6601aa$1_2@dnews:

> > I have a application that when clicking buttons and opening screens the
> > memory (viewed via task manager in Win NT4) goes up.  When I return to
> > the main screen the memory doesn't return to what it was before
> > clicking or changing screens.  I have used memory sleuth from
> > turbopower but it doesn't report any changes!  Does anyone know what
> > may be happening.  I'm using Delphi 4.  This application is a long term
> > run app so several months maybe required and increases in memory usuage
> > is a concern.

> Memory allocators generally work by enlarging the virtual address space to
> create large chunks of memory. From these, it allocates and returns the
> chunks for applications. The allocators generally do not shrink the
virtual
> address space once memory is returned.

> If your memory sleuth says you are not losing memory then take its word.

Other Threads