Connect SQL server over TCP/IP socket?

Hello all,

I am new to using SQL server and now I got some problems.

In my case, there is an existing SQL server running somewhere on the
network. All I get is just an Ethernet connection. According to the
requirement, I have to retrieve data from the database by connecting to
the SQL server via TCP/IP to a certain fixed socket. The SQL server will
listen on that socket and accept SQL92 statement from any client. I want
to make use of the BDE and TQuery component to easy my development.

Q.1 How can I set the information such as IP and socket number to the
BDE so that it knows where to connect to? I cannot, however, find a
place in the BDE administrator to enter this information.

Q.2 Since I don't know the type and even the supplier of the SQL server.
All I got is just the login information and table schema. So is the
information I have enough to setup the BDE?

All comments are welcomed! Thank you very much.

Milky

Re:Connect SQL server over TCP/IP socket?

Firstly are you sure it is an MS SQL Server.  You should be able to
connect to it by substituting the ip address of the server where you
would put the server name when you connect through SQL links (Double
click on the Tdatabase component) but I cannot check this at the
moment for you since my D3 is down....

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:06:38 +0800, Milky Wong <mil...@hk.super.net>
wrote:

>Hello all,

>I am new to using SQL server and now I got some problems.

>In my case, there is an existing SQL server running somewhere on the
>network. All I get is just an Ethernet connection. According to the
>requirement, I have to retrieve data from the database by connecting to
>the SQL server via TCP/IP to a certain fixed socket. The SQL server will
>listen on that socket and accept SQL92 statement from any client. I want
>to make use of the BDE and TQuery component to easy my development.

>Q.1 How can I set the information such as IP and socket number to the
>BDE so that it knows where to connect to? I cannot, however, find a
>place in the BDE administrator to enter this information.

>Q.2 Since I don't know the type and even the supplier of the SQL server.
>All I got is just the login information and table schema. So is the
>information I have enough to setup the BDE?

>All comments are welcomed! Thank you very much.

>Milky

Re:Connect SQL server over TCP/IP socket?

You can directly connect to  SQL Server any TTable or TQuery. All you have
to do is to install the MS SQL client on our
client computer and set it to use TCP/IP. You will of course have to use
Delphi Client/Server version as it is only in this that you will find the
MS SQL drivers for the BDE (SQL Links). OR you can use our SQLQuery
component that is a TDataset that does not need the BDE and is optimized to
work with SQL Server.

--
Thomas Werner

{*  SQLQuery - TDataset vcl for direct access to MS SQL Server *}
{*  Component Store Ltd.   http://component-store.com               *}
{***************************************************************************
*}

Milky Wong skrev i meddelandet <35CEF05D.31515...@hk.super.net>...

>Hello all,

>I am new to using SQL server and now I got some problems.

>In my case, there is an existing SQL server running somewhere on the
>network. All I get is just an Ethernet connection. According to the
>requirement, I have to retrieve data from the database by connecting to
>the SQL server via TCP/IP to a certain fixed socket. The SQL server will
>listen on that socket and accept SQL92 statement from any client. I want
>to make use of the BDE and TQuery component to easy my development.

>Q.1 How can I set the information such as IP and socket number to the
>BDE so that it knows where to connect to? I cannot, however, find a
>place in the BDE administrator to enter this information.

>Q.2 Since I don't know the type and even the supplier of the SQL server.
>All I got is just the login information and table schema. So is the
>information I have enough to setup the BDE?

>All comments are welcomed! Thank you very much.

>Milky

Other Threads