Delphi 3 and MS SQL 6.5 Text data types

Hi There everyone.

I don't know if you have experienced this but when I attempt to read a
TEXT database column(MS SQL 6.5) into a DBMEMO field in Delphi 3 I do
not receive a reject but my app fails to return data and refuses to run
correctly afterwards until I edit the database field directly in the
database table and remove any text from it.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN USE MS SQL TEXT DATATYPES IN DELPHI 3.???

Cheers now.

Chris
Christopher Hampton-Pidgeon
Analyst\Programmer
www.aga-rayburn.co.uk
E-Mail : champ...@aga-rayburn.co.uk

Re:Delphi 3 and MS SQL 6.5 Text data types

Take a look:
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/qanda/638.html

and apply SP3 on SQL Server if need

Yuri Romanov

Re:Delphi 3 and MS SQL 6.5 Text data types

I have the same problem, gettin General SQL error if using a DBmemo.

Mikael Norrman
mik...@mv-systemutveckling.com

Re:Delphi 3 and MS SQL 6.5 Text data types

Hi,

I have a similar problem on the same topic

I get general SQL error when i try to store data in a dbmemo control with
attached text column och varchar(1024 or lager)

i also get general SQL error then i try to retreive data back to the form
using the DBmemo, but if the memo is empty i do notget the error.

Is i have sql link comming with the Delphi C/S i would like to use it but my
solution to this problem was shiftin to Microsofts ODBC 32 f?r ms sql
server, the vert same app work fine, and no more general SQL error.

Mikael Norrman
MV Systemutveckling
m...@algonet.se

Re:Delphi 3 and MS SQL 6.5 Text data types

I have had the same problem with SP3 on SQL Server 6.5.  Supposedly, there
is a hotfix from MS which fixes the problem.  I tried it and it didn't.  I
also tried SP4 and the problem persisted.  I rolled back to SQL Server 6.5
without SPs installed and the problem disappeared.

Brian Corll

Mikael Norrman wrote in message <6i7t1v$d...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi,

>I have a similar problem on the same topic

>I get general SQL error when i try to store data in a dbmemo control with
>attached text column och varchar(1024 or lager)

>i also get general SQL error then i try to retreive data back to the form
>using the DBmemo, but if the memo is empty i do notget the error.

>Is i have sql link comming with the Delphi C/S i would like to use it but
my
>solution to this problem was shiftin to Microsofts ODBC 32 f?r ms sql
>server, the vert same app work fine, and no more general SQL error.

>Mikael Norrman
>MV Systemutveckling
>m...@algonet.se

Re:Delphi 3 and MS SQL 6.5 Text data types

Hi there Brian and Mikael,

when you use the sp 4 make sure that your TEMPDB is not set at the
default 20mb. I too experienced problems after placing the sp4 online
but the message on the screen told me that I did not have enough room in
TEMPDB. So I changed mine to 200mb(dont think it has to be so big) and
it all worked just fine. Also, Get yourself the latest BDE 4.51 from
Inprise DevSupport pages. I had this loaded so maybe you need this too.

All the best
Chris

Christopher Hampton-Pidgeon
Analyst\Programmer
www.aga-rayburn.co.uk
E-Mail : champ...@aga-rayburn.co.uk

Yes, you can.

The problem you are having relates to a setting in your BDE config for this
particular ALIAS or DATASOURCE.

The way I got around it, was to take the text field out the dataset I had
it in. Then I put another dateset on my form and joined it to the first
one. In the second one, I only had the text field. This seemed to work.

Other Threads