Paradox BLOB field and Delphi

I have an old legacy paradox database (win 3.1, on a 12 inch monitor)
which I'd like to update to something maintainable.

Will Delphi handle Paradox BLOBs?
If so, which Delphi version, personal, pro, enterprise?

tanks
bobc

Re:Paradox BLOB field and Delphi

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases and a
copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <c29b306e.0204010646.4b5c8...@posting.google.com>,
cla...@fadec.com says...

> I have an old legacy paradox database (win 3.1, on a 12 inch monitor)
> which I'd like to update to something maintainable.

> Will Delphi handle Paradox BLOBs?
> If so, which Delphi version, personal, pro, enterprise?

> tanks
> bobc

Hi Bobc.

To your first question - Yes, Delphi will support your BLOBs, through
the build-in BDE support.

As to which version, I would suggest the Pro version, since this covers
most issues, unless you have a huge budget and would like to tamper with
distributed computing. The Enterprise edition contains a huge amount of
components for specific purposes, such as distributed computing
(repeating myself again :), client server tools, networking components
and finally tools for advanced component building and use. Are you
"only" interested in tampering with databases, "simple" network
communication and general programming the Pro edition will fullfill all
your needs - and save you enough to have a nice holiday :).

Kenneth Plettner
technical architect

On 1 Apr 2002 06:46:37 -0800, cla...@fadec.com (Clarke) wrote:

>I have an old legacy paradox database (win 3.1, on a 12 inch monitor)
>which I'd like to update to something maintainable.

The old Paradox tables should be completely compatible with the latest
versions of both Paradox and Delphi using the Borland Database Engine
and the VCL.

>Will Delphi handle Paradox BLOBs?

Yes.

>If so, which Delphi version, personal, pro, enterprise?

You will need the Pro or Enterprise version. The Personal versions do
not have database connectivity units.

>tanks
>bobc

HTH,
Dan

--
Dan Brennand
CMDC systems, inc.
visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[SPAM block: my e-mail address is DanB at CMDCsystems.com]

Re:Paradox BLOB field and Delphi

Did Borland use to packaged the connectivity on the personal editions?
The pro edition starts at $999.00

On the MS VB6 "Personal" edition for $107.00 I can attach to databases.

And I seem to remember on C++ builder Ver 4? I could connect.

Seems odd features/price, am I getting this right?

D...@nowhere.com (Dan Brennand) wrote in message <news:3ca88843.72645465@news.dimensional.com>...
> On 1 Apr 2002 06:46:37 -0800, cla...@fadec.com (Clarke) wrote:

> >I have an old legacy paradox database (win 3.1, on a 12 inch monitor)
> >which I'd like to update to something maintainable.

> The old Paradox tables should be completely compatible with the latest
> versions of both Paradox and Delphi using the Borland Database Engine
> and the VCL.
> >Will Delphi handle Paradox BLOBs?

> Yes.

> >If so, which Delphi version, personal, pro, enterprise?

> You will need the Pro or Enterprise version. The Personal versions do
> not have database connectivity units.

> >tanks
> >bobc

> HTH,
> Dan

Re:Paradox BLOB field and Delphi

If memory serves me right, even version 2 had a low cost personal
edition which didn't connect to databases.

Dan

visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com

"Kenneth Plettner" <kenn...@plettner.dk> wrote in message

> [This followup was posted to comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases and a
> Are you
> "only" interested in tampering with databases, "simple" network
> communication and general programming the Pro edition will fullfill all
> your needs - and save you enough to have a nice holiday :).

> Kenneth Plettner
> technical architect

LOL  ;oD

James