Directory Browsing

Hi
Does anyone know of where I can get a dir list dialog box. I need to allow
users to browse the diretory structure on his PC and shared folders on
Network PC then return the users selection to my app. The existing dialog
components and SelectDirectory Call that comes with Delphi 5 does not show
the My Documents, My Computer & Computers Near Me options. They only show
local & mapped drives.

Thanks
Gregory

Re:Directory Browsing

I have the professional version of Delphi 5 and it comes with
a control that will do what you want.  Place an OpenDialog'
control on a Form from the "Dialogs" tab of the pallete.
Put a button on the form as well and for the onclick event of
the button do a   Opendialog1.execute and you will get a
dialog that lets you walk up the tree and down the tree to
your neighboohood.

If you want something more like the tree image dialog used
in many programs you have to go to the windows API. I can send
a code snippit to do that if you want.

Respectfully   Ken

"Gregory Sebastian" <grego...@bizsoft.com.sg> wrote:
>Hi
>Does anyone know of where I can get a dir list dialog box. I need to allow
>users to browse the diretory structure on his PC and shared folders on
>Network PC then return the users selection to my app. The existing dialog
>components and SelectDirectory Call that comes with Delphi 5 does not show
>the My Documents, My Computer & Computers Near Me options. They only show
>local & mapped drives.

>Thanks
>Gregory

Re:Directory Browsing

Ken,
Thanks. This is what I'm using at the moment. Problem is, it requires the
user to select a file. I actually only need the user to browse  and specify
a folder, (e.g location to create/ connect to data files etc) preferrabley
also allow the user to create a desired folder if it doesn't exist within
the same dialog. Any ideas appreciated ? Will also look up the Windows API.

Regards
Gregory

"Ken Ralston" <krals...@ieee.org> wrote in message

> I have the professional version of Delphi 5 and it comes with
> a control that will do what you want.  Place an OpenDialog'
> control on a Form from the "Dialogs" tab of the pallete.
> Put a button on the form as well and for the onclick event of
> the button do a   Opendialog1.execute and you will get a
> dialog that lets you walk up the tree and down the tree to
> your neighboohood.

> If you want something more like the tree image dialog used
> in many programs you have to go to the windows API. I can send
> a code snippit to do that if you want.

> Respectfully   Ken

> "Gregory Sebastian" <grego...@bizsoft.com.sg> wrote:
> >Hi
> >Does anyone know of where I can get a dir list dialog box. I need to
allow
> >users to browse the diretory structure on his PC and shared folders on
> >Network PC then return the users selection to my app. The existing dialog
> >components and SelectDirectory Call that comes with Delphi 5 does not
show
> >the My Documents, My Computer & Computers Near Me options. They only show
> >local & mapped drives.

> >Thanks
> >Gregory

Re:Directory Browsing

SelectDirectory in the FileCtrl unit is what I use.  It brings up a dialog
for you.

-- Stuart

"Gregory Sebastian" <grego...@bizsoft.com.sg> wrote in message

> Ken,
> Thanks. This is what I'm using at the moment. Problem is, it requires the
> user to select a file. I actually only need the user to browse  and
specify
> a folder, (e.g location to create/ connect to data files etc) preferrabley
> also allow the user to create a desired folder if it doesn't exist within
> the same dialog. Any ideas appreciated ? Will also look up the Windows
API.

> Regards
> Gregory

> "Ken Ralston" <krals...@ieee.org> wrote in message

> > I have the professional version of Delphi 5 and it comes with
> > a control that will do what you want.  Place an OpenDialog'
> > control on a Form from the "Dialogs" tab of the pallete.
> > Put a button on the form as well and for the onclick event of
> > the button do a   Opendialog1.execute and you will get a
> > dialog that lets you walk up the tree and down the tree to
> > your neighboohood.

> > If you want something more like the tree image dialog used
> > in many programs you have to go to the windows API. I can send
> > a code snippit to do that if you want.

> > Respectfully   Ken

> > "Gregory Sebastian" <grego...@bizsoft.com.sg> wrote:
> > >Hi
> > >Does anyone know of where I can get a dir list dialog box. I need to
> allow
> > >users to browse the diretory structure on his PC and shared folders on
> > >Network PC then return the users selection to my app. The existing
dialog
> > >components and SelectDirectory Call that comes with Delphi 5 does not
> show
> > >the My Documents, My Computer & Computers Near Me options. They only
show
> > >local & mapped drives.

> > >Thanks
> > >Gregory

Re:Directory Browsing

Gregory,

in article <3c6d901e_1@dnews>, you wrote:

> Thanks. This is what I'm using at the moment. Problem is, it requires the
> user to select a file. I actually only need the user to browse  and specify
> a folder, (e.g location to create/ connect to data files etc) preferrabley
> also allow the user to create a desired folder if it doesn't exist within
> the same dialog. Any ideas appreciated ? Will also look up the Windows API.

take a look at http://www.pobox.com/~bstowers/delphi/ for Brad Stowers'
TBrowseDirectory component.

--
Regards