BDE won't let dBase III import

I have an MS Access 2000 database that needs to link to VDB7 files, and
either link or import dBase III tables (.dbf only).

My problem is that if I install the BDE, I cannot import or link to the
dBase III files, I get an error about missing index files.  On a system that
was recently setup and has never had BDE installed, or used for Access, I
tried the following.
  1)  Create a new Access 2000 database
  2)  Import one of the dBase III files, no trouble
  3)  Link to a different dBase III file, no trouble
  4)  Install BDE (version shipping with VDB7)
  5)  Attempt to import a dBase III file, error missing index file
  6)  Attempt to link to dBase III file, error missing index file
  7)  Uninstall BDE
  8)  Attempt to import dBase III file, error missing index file
  9)  Attempt to link to dBase III file, error missing index file

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  I need to be able to link to the VDB7
files, and either import or link to the dBase III files.