extra memory in borland pascal 7.0

anyone knows how to get more memory in pascal 7.0? as in go past the 655360
stack limit?

Re:extra memory in borland pascal 7.0

Use Free Pascal (www.freepascal.org

"Eugene Lim" <fifafe...@pacific.net.sg> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> anyone knows how to get more memory in pascal 7.0? as in go past the
655360
> stack limit?

<CITE FROM="Bill Gates">
640k should be enough for anybody.
</CITE>

Why the hell do you need more than 640k of stack??? Do you want to calculate
higher Ackerman numbers? Badly written Fibonacci program and you want to
know fib(1000000)? There are languages that issue a runtime warning if more
than 100 levels of recursion are reached!

I would recommend
    1. using pointers for big structures in a procedure/function
    2. use global variables if needed and not pass around the same data
everytime
    3. use const or var parameters instead of normal ones.

--
Rudolf Polzer
REBOUNCE - http://www.mycgiserver.com/~rebounce

Eugene Lim <fifafe...@pacific.net.sg> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
8sgtun$o7...@clematis.singnet.com.sg...

> anyone knows how to get more memory in pascal 7.0? as in go past the
655360
> stack limit?

Hallo !
Use free UMB or such an memory and emulate this as normal dosmem.
(I have between 30..40 KB of free UMB)
Rewrite the functions getmem/new (also freemem/dispose) to integrate this
as normal dosmem.
The new functions split into two ways. (For normal dosmem and extra umbmem)

Some things in your program should use this extramem without any problems.
(the whole 1024 KB is equal to use with pointers)
This hold free normal mem. This normal mem has the full quality for all the
things.

I have not tested this. It can run or not. This depends on the free UMB.
Reserve with every useable method free UMBs. Make for this extramem an
own handler. Only for this extramem an seperate way is needed inside of the
new getmem/new functions. Outside is all the same.
(Sorry to my less english)
(from MaxBan...@talknet.de)

Other Threads