TUpdateSQL creating multiple database connections

Using MSSQL 6.0, Delphi 2.0, ODBC, and TUpdateSQL.  Everything works fine
calling
  database.startTransaction
  query.applyUpdates
  query.commitUpdates
  database.commit
The data is posted correctly to SQL and query set, but, if the same record
is edited and posted again without closing the form, the TUpdateSQL
component creates another database connection.  With many users this could
result in running out of connections.  Even when the form is closed, only
the last connection made is released.  All others remain until the database
is closed.  I've tried explicity closing TUpdateSql.query[updatekind] after
commits but that doesn't help.  What am I doing wrong.