D3 to D5

I am working on an app in D3 with MSAccess 97. It is a database
application. It is for standalone machines only, handles HUGE amounts
of data (number of records will be going into over a million for many
tables). I need to use queries often.

My Boss has asked me to decide whether we need D5 or not. can anyone
help me with this. I have just seen the interface of D5 with a friend
of mine, so i really cannot decide. Also i am really not sure whether
in D5 i should use TAdoTables instead of the normal TTables. Will
there be an advantage in using them? I use a Pentium 233 machine so i
dont want to lose time during development too.

And finally i have already written loads of code. Will it be tough to
transfer? I am really in a fix so please help me decide.

thankyou very much.

Re:D3 to D5

I'm still using D3 but will move my major project
to D5 as soon as possible.  One major reason -
most 3rd party add-ons like Reporbuilder (an outstanding
report VCL) and Infopower (indispensible to many) are
not doing any more D3 versions.

I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of D5 yet.  Borland
people at meetings I've been at seem to think that Microsoft
ADO is the next big thing and they seem to characterize
the BDE as a mature product which for the most part will only get
bug fixes in the future.  But if you read
this newsgroup on a regular basis, people seem to
be having plenty of issues with both.  People
seem more satisfied with some of the db solutions
from 3rd parties like Advantage and others.

I don't think the move from D3 to D5 has been too
hard for most people.  As for speed, I'm using very
fast machines so I can't tell much difference.

"Amal Sud" <aict...@vsnl.com> wrote in message

> I am working on an app in D3 with MSAccess 97. It is a database
> application. It is for standalone machines only, handles HUGE amounts
> of data (number of records will be going into over a million for many
> tables). I need to use queries often.

> My Boss has asked me to decide whether we need D5 or not. can anyone
> help me with this. I have just seen the interface of D5 with a friend
> of mine, so i really cannot decide. Also i am really not sure whether
> in D5 i should use TAdoTables instead of the normal TTables. Will
> there be an advantage in using them? I use a Pentium 233 machine so i
> dont want to lose time during development too.

> And finally i have already written loads of code. Will it be tough to
> transfer? I am really in a fix so please help me decide.

> thankyou very much.

Re:D3 to D5

From my first tests:
- D5 IDE is slower (but more powerfull) than the D3 IDE. So you should use
fast machine with enough RAM (128+)
- I'm developing with NT4 / W2K so i cannot say anything about W95/W98 and
resource-problems
- AFAIK all 3rd-Party products are available for D5 so there shouldn't be a
problem
- If you have used compiler directives checking for Delphi-Versions you need
to extend them for the new Version
  (same for some 3rd-Party tools)
- compiled EXE-files are larger than compiled with D3 (VCL seems to be
expanded a lot)
- the german D5 version has a bug with TImage loading some BMP files (i
think RLE encoded ones). I havn't heard anything about the 5.01 for german
so i cannot check whether the bug is fixed or not
- IDE seems to be more stable than the D4 ones. Seems to be as stable as D3.

cu

Boris
--
---
Delphi Tips: http://www.nsonic.de/Delphi

Art Begun <beg...@mindspring.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
8bccbt$...@bornews.borland.com...

> I don't think the move from D3 to D5 has been too
> hard for most people.  As for speed, I'm using very
> fast machines so I can't tell much difference.

Re:D3 to D5

I moved from D3 to D5 primarily to be able to use the Netmasters components.
Everything is fine and other than our memtable, I don't think I had to make
any other mods.

There are a few things that drive me nuts, though.  One is the that the CPU
window shows up for no apparent reason.  I'd like to get rid of it
permanently but can't.  The other is that you simply cannot toggle between
the Object Inspector and a form and back anymore.  This is such an obvious
PITA that I have no idea how it didn't get fixed during alpha/beta testing.

And the IDE is slower.  I guess that's because the code completion is more
powerful.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

Art Begun <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I'm still using D3 but will move my major project
> to D5 as soon as possible.  One major reason -
> most 3rd party add-ons like Reporbuilder (an outstanding
> report VCL) and Infopower (indispensible to many) are
> not doing any more D3 versions.

> I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of D5 yet.  Borland
> people at meetings I've been at seem to think that Microsoft
> ADO is the next big thing and they seem to characterize
> the BDE as a mature product which for the most part will only get
> bug fixes in the future.  But if you read
> this newsgroup on a regular basis, people seem to
> be having plenty of issues with both.  People
> seem more satisfied with some of the db solutions
> from 3rd parties like Advantage and others.

> I don't think the move from D3 to D5 has been too
> hard for most people.  As for speed, I'm using very
> fast machines so I can't tell much difference.

> "Amal Sud" <aict...@vsnl.com> wrote in message
> > I am working on an app in D3 with MSAccess 97. It is a database
> > application. It is for standalone machines only, handles HUGE amounts
> > of data (number of records will be going into over a million for many
> > tables). I need to use queries often.

> > My Boss has asked me to decide whether we need D5 or not. can anyone
> > help me with this. I have just seen the interface of D5 with a friend
> > of mine, so i really cannot decide. Also i am really not sure whether
> > in D5 i should use TAdoTables instead of the normal TTables. Will
> > there be an advantage in using them? I use a Pentium 233 machine so i
> > dont want to lose time during development too.

> > And finally i have already written loads of code. Will it be tough to
> > transfer? I am really in a fix so please help me decide.

> > thankyou very much.

Re:D3 to D5

Thanks a lot.

I am really not using any third party components coz my copyof D3 wont
install them. D3 just hangs if i install any. So i am trying to be
happy with what i have. Secondly i am working on a real slow machine.
Pentium MMX 233 Mhz 32MB Ram. So D5 seems to be out of the question
till i upgrade the machine. As for ADO i have been reading about it,
but dont have hands on experience so i cant really judge.
actually i have been a little unhappy with some components of D3 like
DBGrid, where the scroll bar will either be on top when at the first
rec, at the end if at the last rec, else it will always be in the
middle (half way) so scrolling and all is tough. i see that D5 seems
to be better with the VCL components.

in any case, thanks once again

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:22:19 -0500, "Art Begun"

<beg...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>I'm still using D3 but will move my major project
>to D5 as soon as possible.  One major reason -
>most 3rd party add-ons like Reporbuilder (an outstanding
>report VCL) and Infopower (indispensible to many) are
>not doing any more D3 versions.

>I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of D5 yet.  Borland
>people at meetings I've been at seem to think that Microsoft
>ADO is the next big thing and they seem to characterize
>the BDE as a mature product which for the most part will only get
>bug fixes in the future.  But if you read
>this newsgroup on a regular basis, people seem to
>be having plenty of issues with both.  People
>seem more satisfied with some of the db solutions
>from 3rd parties like Advantage and others.

>I don't think the move from D3 to D5 has been too
>hard for most people.  As for speed, I'm using very
>fast machines so I can't tell much difference.

>"Amal Sud" <aict...@vsnl.com> wrote in message
>> I am working on an app in D3 with MSAccess 97. It is a database
>> application. It is for standalone machines only, handles HUGE amounts
>> of data (number of records will be going into over a million for many
>> tables). I need to use queries often.

>> My Boss has asked me to decide whether we need D5 or not. can anyone
>> help me with this. I have just seen the interface of D5 with a friend
>> of mine, so i really cannot decide. Also i am really not sure whether
>> in D5 i should use TAdoTables instead of the normal TTables. Will
>> there be an advantage in using them? I use a Pentium 233 machine so i
>> dont want to lose time during development too.

>> And finally i have already written loads of code. Will it be tough to
>> transfer? I am really in a fix so please help me decide.

>> thankyou very much.

Re:D3 to D5

thanks for your views paul

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 06:07:02 -0500, "Paul Ferrara"

>I moved from D3 to D5 primarily to be able to use the Netmasters components.
>Everything is fine and other than our memtable, I don't think I had to make
>any other mods.

>There are a few things that drive me nuts, though.  One is the that the CPU
>window shows up for no apparent reason.  I'd like to get rid of it
>permanently but can't.  The other is that you simply cannot toggle between
>the Object Inspector and a form and back anymore.  This is such an obvious
>PITA that I have no idea how it didn't get fixed during alpha/beta testing.

>And the IDE is slower.  I guess that's because the code completion is more
>powerful.

>Paul / ColumbuSoft
>www.columbusoft.com

>Art Begun <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> I'm still using D3 but will move my major project
>> to D5 as soon as possible.  One major reason -
>> most 3rd party add-ons like Reporbuilder (an outstanding
>> report VCL) and Infopower (indispensible to many) are
>> not doing any more D3 versions.

>> I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of D5 yet.  Borland
>> people at meetings I've been at seem to think that Microsoft
>> ADO is the next big thing and they seem to characterize
>> the BDE as a mature product which for the most part will only get
>> bug fixes in the future.  But if you read
>> this newsgroup on a regular basis, people seem to
>> be having plenty of issues with both.  People
>> seem more satisfied with some of the db solutions
>> from 3rd parties like Advantage and others.

>> I don't think the move from D3 to D5 has been too
>> hard for most people.  As for speed, I'm using very
>> fast machines so I can't tell much difference.

>> "Amal Sud" <aict...@vsnl.com> wrote in message
>> > I am working on an app in D3 with MSAccess 97. It is a database
>> > application. It is for standalone machines only, handles HUGE amounts
>> > of data (number of records will be going into over a million for many
>> > tables). I need to use queries often.

>> > My Boss has asked me to decide whether we need D5 or not. can anyone
>> > help me with this. I have just seen the interface of D5 with a friend
>> > of mine, so i really cannot decide. Also i am really not sure whether
>> > in D5 i should use TAdoTables instead of the normal TTables. Will
>> > there be an advantage in using them? I use a Pentium 233 machine so i
>> > dont want to lose time during development too.

>> > And finally i have already written loads of code. Will it be tough to
>> > transfer? I am really in a fix so please help me decide.

>> > thankyou very much.

Re:D3 to D5

I'm using the same hardware as you but with 64Mb.  Other than an occasional
hourglass (for a sec or so) there's nothing wrong with the performance.  The
apps still compile and execute very fast.  I probably should get a faster
machine but mine is so stabile I really hate to start screwing around with a
new setup.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

> Thanks a lot.

> I am really not using any third party components coz my copyof D3 wont
> install them. D3 just hangs if i install any. So i am trying to be
> happy with what i have. Secondly i am working on a real slow machine.
> Pentium MMX 233 Mhz 32MB Ram. So D5 seems to be out of the question
> till i upgrade the machine. As for ADO i have been reading about it,
> but dont have hands on experience so i cant really judge.

> actually i have been a little unhappy with some components of D3 like
> DBGrid, where the scroll bar will either be on top when at the first
> rec, at the end if at the last rec, else it will always be in the
> middle (half way) so scrolling and all is tough. i see that D5 seems
> to be better with the VCL components.

> in any case, thanks once again

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:22:19 -0500, "Art Begun"
> <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> >I'm still using D3 but will move my major project
> >to D5 as soon as possible.  One major reason -
> >most 3rd party add-ons like Reporbuilder (an outstanding
> >report VCL) and Infopower (indispensible to many) are
> >not doing any more D3 versions.

> >I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of D5 yet.  Borland
> >people at meetings I've been at seem to think that Microsoft
> >ADO is the next big thing and they seem to characterize
> >the BDE as a mature product which for the most part will only get
> >bug fixes in the future.  But if you read
> >this newsgroup on a regular basis, people seem to
> >be having plenty of issues with both.  People
> >seem more satisfied with some of the db solutions
> >from 3rd parties like Advantage and others.

> >I don't think the move from D3 to D5 has been too
> >hard for most people.  As for speed, I'm using very
> >fast machines so I can't tell much difference.

> >"Amal Sud" <aict...@vsnl.com> wrote in message
> >> I am working on an app in D3 with MSAccess 97. It is a database
> >> application. It is for standalone machines only, handles HUGE amounts
> >> of data (number of records will be going into over a million for many
> >> tables). I need to use queries often.

> >> My Boss has asked me to decide whether we need D5 or not. can anyone
> >> help me with this. I have just seen the interface of D5 with a friend
> >> of mine, so i really cannot decide. Also i am really not sure whether
> >> in D5 i should use TAdoTables instead of the normal TTables. Will
> >> there be an advantage in using them? I use a Pentium 233 machine so i
> >> dont want to lose time during development too.

> >> And finally i have already written loads of code. Will it be tough to
> >> transfer? I am really in a fix so please help me decide.

> >> thankyou very much.

Re:D3 to D5

You should get the boss to buy
you some memory.  I bet payback
is less than 1 week.  Check Crucial,
a division of Micron, for extremely cheap
prices right now.  Even on laptop memory.

Re:D3 to D5

pst...he is the boss! <g>

Bob
--
Using Virtual Access
http://www.vamail.com

Re:D3 to D5

???????

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:11:06 +0000, Bob Villiers

<100522...@COMPUSERVE.COM> wrote:
>pst...he is the boss! <g>

>Bob
>--
>Using Virtual Access
>http://www.vamail.com

Re:D3 to D5

:-)
you are a sweetie....
too bad i cant ask him to do that coz it is all Govt. work. in anycase
he has to buy new machines soon. so that'll do it i guess.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:08:27 -0500, "Art Begun"

<beg...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>You should get the boss to buy
>you some memory.  I bet payback
>is less than 1 week.  Check Crucial,
>a division of Micron, for extremely cheap
>prices right now.  Even on laptop memory.

Other Threads