Delphi vs Visual Foxpro vs MS Access

Hi guys!

I have been working for the past couple of years with MS Access.  I was
disappointed to find out that Access95 is quite slow and memory hungry.  I
have to find an alternative to Access.  The question is, what?  VB 4.0?
Clarion? Visual FoxPro 3.0? Delphi?

I looked at Clarion, and while it gives you great .EXE files, it sucks as
far as user interface design goes.  If you want a form/subform type
arrangement, you have to write some pretty major code with Clarion.  With
Access all you have to do is drag the subform into the main form and,
voila!

VB4.0 seems to be sort of in between Clarion and Access.  It will not give
you .EXE files, but it is faster than Access.

VFP, like VB4 will not produce .EXE files but instead will give you p-code
executables.  Still, it is faster than Access, easy to use like VB4, OO and
geared towards database programming

I would like to get some input from Delphi users.  Have any of you looked
at Access or VB or VFP?  What do you like/dislike about Delphi?  How does
it compare to Access and VFP?  Where do you see Borland heading with Delphi
support?  Are they planning a Win95 version?

What are the memory requirements of a Delphy executable?

How good is it for database programming?  Does it support things like
master/child relationships visualy?  What I mean is that in Access, If you
want to create an invoice screen, where you have the customer as the master
record, and then the line items as the child records, all you have to do is
drag the child form onto the master form, and Access establishes the links
between both forms.  They will stay synchronized without you having to
write one line of code!

--
Joseph I. Ceasar (Yossi)
CLS Computer Solutions

Re:Delphi vs Visual Foxpro vs MS Access

j...@nyc.pipeline.com (Joseph I. Ceasar) wrote:

>Hi guys!

>I have been working for the past couple of years with MS Access.  I was
>disappointed to find out that Access95 is quite slow and memory hungry.  I
>have to find an alternative to Access.  The question is, what?  VB 4.0?
>Clarion? Visual FoxPro 3.0? Delphi?

>I looked at Clarion, and while it gives you great .EXE files, it sucks as
>far as user interface design goes.  If you want a form/subform type
>arrangement, you have to write some pretty major code with Clarion.  With
>Access all you have to do is drag the subform into the main form and,
>voila!

>VB4.0 seems to be sort of in between Clarion and Access.  It will not give
>you .EXE files, but it is faster than Access.

>VFP, like VB4 will not produce .EXE files but instead will give you p-code
>executables.  Still, it is faster than Access, easy to use like VB4, OO and
>geared towards database programming

>I would like to get some input from Delphi users.  Have any of you looked
>at Access or VB or VFP?  What do you like/dislike about Delphi?  How does
>it compare to Access and VFP?  Where do you see Borland heading with Delphi
>support?  Are they planning a Win95 version?

>What are the memory requirements of a Delphy executable?

>How good is it for database programming?  Does it support things like
>master/child relationships visualy?  What I mean is that in Access, If you
>want to create an invoice screen, where you have the customer as the master
>record, and then the line items as the child records, all you have to do is
>drag the child form onto the master form, and Access establishes the links
>between both forms.  They will stay synchronized without you having to
>write one line of code!

>--
>Joseph I. Ceasar (Yossi)
>CLS Computer Solutions

A good start would be to a copy of the Delphi/VB white paper from Borland.
Contact your local Borland SE or download it from LIB GO DELPHI on
CompuServe. It may also be on their Web Site. BTW, Delphi is the product
that is cleaning up in all of the awards races including beating out VB4.0
 the technical excellence awards and the best of 1995 in PC Mag. Also, one
of the VB mags gave Delphi the best of the year award.

Michael Lant

Re:Delphi vs Visual Foxpro vs MS Access

In <4bkaei$...@pipe11.nyc.pipeline.com> j...@nyc.pipeline.com (Joseph I.

Ceasar) writes:

>Hi guys!

>I have been working for the past couple of years with MS Access.  I
was
>disappointed to find out that Access95 is quite slow and memory
hungry.  I
>have to find an alternative to Access.  The question is, what?  VB
4.0?
>Clarion? Visual FoxPro 3.0? Delphi?

>I looked at Clarion, and while it gives you great .EXE files, it sucks
as
>far as user interface design goes.  If you want a form/subform type
>arrangement, you have to write some pretty major code with Clarion.
With
>Access all you have to do is drag the subform into the main form and,
>voila!

>VB4.0 seems to be sort of in between Clarion and Access.  It will not
give
>you .EXE files, but it is faster than Access.

>VFP, like VB4 will not produce .EXE files but instead will give you
p-code
>executables.  Still, it is faster than Access, easy to use like VB4,
OO and
>geared towards database programming

>I would like to get some input from Delphi users.  Have any of you
looked
>at Access or VB or VFP?  What do you like/dislike about Delphi?  How
does
>it compare to Access and VFP?  Where do you see Borland heading with
Delphi
>support?  Are they planning a Win95 version?

>What are the memory requirements of a Delphy executable?

>How good is it for database programming?  Does it support things like
>master/child relationships visualy?  What I mean is that in Access, If
you
>want to create an invoice screen, where you have the customer as the
master
>record, and then the line items as the child records, all you have to
do is
>drag the child form onto the master form, and Access establishes the
links
>between both forms.  They will stay synchronized without you having to
>write one line of code!

>--
>Joseph I. Ceasar (Yossi)
>CLS Computer Solutions

My experience is limited to FoxPro for DOS and Delphi although I did
briefly look at several platforms before settling for Delphi.  From
what I'vs seen Delphi is a real programming platform extremely advanced
- the sky is the limit - but for elementary usage is rather simple.
The parent child relationship and versatility is extremely good.  You
can have many links bothe sideways and deep and they work execellent.
Although it is not as simple as dragging a form on to a form It merely
requires to selections in the object inspector - a.  specifying the
master file b.  specifying the link which canbe any connection between
any two key fields (full and partial) (primary and secondary).  Over
all I think Delphi is an excellent choice.  The biggest shortcoming of
Delphi was printing (ReportSmith that comes with Delphi is a piece of
trash to put it very mildly).  But there are some third party packages
that are excellent both in freeware, shareware and commercially.  Hope
this clears your quandary.
Ben
Arrow Software

Re:Delphi vs Visual Foxpro vs MS Access

In article <4bkaei$...@pipe11.nyc.pipeline.com>, j...@nyc.pipeline.com says...

Joseph,

  I've been using Delphi now since it came out.  It took a little adjustment
(a few days) getting use to a new language but after that it has been great.
One thing that I want to mention is there are a lot of people who once
programmed in Clipper (like myself - 10+ years) began to migrate to VB30 and
took a complete 180 when Delphi came out.  That was prove enough to me that I
was in the right direction.

Other Threads