Invalid index descriptor

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:37:06 -0500, "Mark" <mar...@iname.com> wrote:
>I have used TTable.AddIndex and DbiAddIndex and the message is the same.
>Also, I use an alias of type FOXPRO and the tabletype property of my ttable
>component (that points to the newly created table) is set to ttFoxPro (in
>addition, i use a TDatabase component that refers to my alias).

Can you show us the code you used for creating the index via
TTable.AddIndex?

Jan

Re:Invalid index descriptor

This is:

Table1.AddIndex('FICHA', 'RIGHT(CFICFCUR,5) + RIGHT(CFICFTOF,3)',
[ixExpression]);

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:39:20 -0500, "Mark" <mar...@iname.com> wrote:
>Table1.AddIndex('FICHA', 'RIGHT(CFICFCUR,5) + RIGHT(CFICFTOF,3)',
>[ixExpression]);

Nothing wrong with this.  So the reason might be that the BDE doesn't
consider your file as a FoxPro file.  What is the table type given by
Database Explorer and what is your default table type setting in the
BDE administrator?

Jan

Re:Invalid index descriptor

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:39:20 -0500, "Mark" <mar...@iname.com> wrote:
>Table1.AddIndex('FICHA', 'RIGHT(CFICFCUR,5) + RIGHT(CFICFTOF,3)',
>[ixExpression]);

The dBASE Data Manipulation Language (DML) set includes a RIGHT function,
so that *should* be acceptable.

Is there a field in that table named "FICHA"? Is that the only index you
were adding? That is, is this the command line that triggered the error?

What version of Delphi? Version of the BDE?

Steve Koterski                  "Computers are useless. They can only give
Technical Publications          you answers."
Borland                                       -- Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
http://www.borland.com/techpubs/delphi

Re:Invalid index descriptor

> Is there a field in that table named "FICHA"?

No

> Is that the only index you
> were adding?

Yes

> That is, is this the command line that triggered the error?

Yes

> What version of Delphi?

5 Ent

> Version of the BDE?

5.1

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:18:35 -0500, "Mark" <mar...@iname.com> wrote:
>> Is there a field in that table named "FICHA"?
>No

>> Is that the only index you
>> were adding?
>Yes

>> That is, is this the command line that triggered the error?
>Yes

>> What version of Delphi?
>5 Ent

>> Version of the BDE?
>5.1

Sorry, but I cannot see what is wrong. All appears correct. About all I
could do at this point would be to refer you to Developer Support or ask
you to submit a bug report.

Steve Koterski                  "Computers are useless. They can only give
Technical Publications          you answers."
Borland                                       -- Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
http://www.borland.com/techpubs/delphi

Re:Invalid index descriptor

In article
<38a91ebf.586494...@forums.inprise.com>,
  j...@nospamplease.adm2000.be (Jan Sprengers)
<mar...@iname.com> wrote:

> >I have used TTable.AddIndex and DbiAddIndex

and the message is the same.
> >Also, I use an alias of type FOXPRO and the

tabletype property of my ttable
> >component (that points to the newly created

table) is set to ttFoxPro (in
> >addition, i use a TDatabase component that

refers to my alias).

> Can you show us the code you used for creating
the index via
> TTable.AddIndex?

> Jan

I have a similar problems with the BDE 5.1.1,
Delphi 5.0 and FoxPro tables (which are also
maintained by Clipper 3x CDX driver).

Problem (1).
VCL TTable.Open generates missing index message
even though table does not have or need an index,
though another tool may have created one
temporarily in the past.

Problem (2).
VCL TTable.Open generates invalid index
descriptor though Clipper is able to read and
write to this table without problems.

I am stuck. Help.
I can email you the tables...

George.