REQ: How to create groups in Windows?

Could somebody e-mail on how to create groups and items in Program
Manager?  Will it also work in Windows 95?  Please email me with this
information and possibly examples.  Thanks.

email:  Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com

Re:REQ: How to create groups in Windows?

In article <437oc2$...@ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>,
Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com says...

>Could somebody e-mail on how to create groups and items in Program
>Manager?  Will it also work in Windows 95?  Please email me with this
>information and possibly examples.  Thanks.

I've got a weird sense of deja vu...

Look in the online help under Shell Dynamic-Data Exchange Interface
Overview.
--
Who can turn a man into a mane?                             ed mccreary
Who can turn a van into a vane?                        compaq computers

Re:REQ: How to create groups in Windows?

Here's one way to do it with 3.10 or 3.11
Go up to file and choose new,
then select either group or item.
if you choose group,  just fillin the description don't worry about the
other line, then click ok.
if you choose item,  fill in the description, command line, and
optionally the working directory.  Then choose your icon.
I dont' know if it'll work in win'95? you can try it..

Hope this helps.
Matt

In article <DEwF60....@twisto.eng.hou.compaq.com>,
   e...@twisto.compaq.com (Ed McCreary) wrote:
>In article <437oc2$...@ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>,

<question deleted: see subject!>

>I've got a weird sense of deja vu...

It's September!

Dave Connet
Dave_Con...@corp.dialog.com

--------------------
My opinions are my own.  I think.

Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com (Chris Watson) wrote:
>Could somebody e-mail on how to create groups and items in Program
>Manager?  Will it also work in Windows 95?  Please email me with this
>information and possibly examples.  Thanks.
>email:  Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com

I'm also sending this to you via email.

You have to establish a DDE conversation with PROGMAN.

It is not trivial. I suggest "Windows 3.1: A Developers Guide",
Jeffrey M. Richter, M&T Books. It covers this and other useful tricks
and comes with a disk.

Kevin

Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com (Chris Watson) writes:
>Could somebody e-mail on how to create groups and items in Program
>Manager?  Will it also work in Windows 95?  Please email me with this
>information and possibly examples.  Thanks.
>email:  Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com

Well, I don't have time to get you the exact details...but you can
add/edit groups in windows by editing the ".ini" file in windows
directory. It is in ASCII text format so your program could very easily
manipulate the file.

Good Luck !
Syed

r...@njmsa.UMDNJ.EDU (Syed Reza) wrote:
>Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com (Chris Watson) writes:
>>Could somebody e-mail on how to create groups and items in Program
>>Manager?  Will it also work in Windows 95?  Please email me with this
>>information and possibly examples.  Thanks.
>>email:  Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com
>Well, I don't have time to get you the exact details...but you can
>add/edit groups in windows by editing the ".ini" file in windows
>directory. It is in ASCII text format so your program could very easily
>manipulate the file.

This solution won't work with Win95 as the original poster wanted,
because Windows after 3.11 uses the registry database to store stuff
that used to be in the .ini files.

What you need to do is some DDE with the program manager (or whatever
shell is loaded).  Send it a 'ddeCreateGroup' message or somesuch.
Your compiler's documentation should have a reference.  If not, go to
Microsoft's ftp site (they don't have all the files on their web site
yet) and look in their software library:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com

>Good Luck !
>Syed

/* Eric Kenslow - kensl...@sparky.oit.osshe.edu
 * Oregon Institute of Technology, Klamath Falls, OR
 */

Re:REQ: How to create groups in Windows?

Chris_Watson_at_ATLM...@burlington.marcam.com (Chris Watson) writes:
>Could somebody e-mail on how to create groups and items in Program
>Manager?  Will it also work in Windows 95?  Please email me with this
>information and possibly examples.  Thanks.

The group files that show up in program manager and the order in which they
are displayed are controlled in the [Control.ini] file.  Take a look at it in
the Windows Notepad.  It's easy to figure out.

This should give you the data you need to manipulate existing .grp files.
You will have to find (in the Windows SDK) what the format of the .grp file
is so that you can edit/create the actual files themselves.

HTH

James L. Romines   (619)725-9442/9100
PC/LAN Maintenance Tech
AC/S, CIS, MCB Camp Pendleton, CA
Work:  romin...@mqg-smtp3.usmc.mil
Home:  romin...@cts.com
I love the human race, it's people I can't stand.

Re:REQ: How to create groups in Windows?

>The group files that show up in program manager and the order in which they
>are displayed are controlled in the [Control.ini] file.  Take a look at it in
>the Windows Notepad.  It's easy to figure out.
>This should give you the data you need to manipulate existing .grp files.
>You will have to find (in the Windows SDK) what the format of the .grp file
>is so that you can edit/create the actual files themselves.

Maybe this method works, but usually you do not stir around in the .grp files to
create groups. Instead you use a dde-conversion to tell the program manager to create
the group for you. After all, that's the only way to make the group pop up
immediately. I've already posted a source code for this problem in the
comp.lang.pascal.borland newsgroup, but I don't know if it will work for Win95.

Other Threads