Groovy Little Program

Kim.forwood @access.crcn. was heard talking behind All's back on
 03-11-97  09:52 about Groovy Little Program.

 K@> Please don't post source code just for the hell of it. Most people
 K@> will not be interested in it, and those that are could just as easily
 K@> get it if you gave them a pointer where to get it on the web or through
 K@> ftp.

 Why not? Half of my source collection I keep is because people are kind
 enough to post something useful. I think we should encourage it. Doing so
 will encourage more people to work and learn more on their own and posting
 it and learning from their mistakes.

"And all those crazy clothes make me look pretty {*word*99}py sometimes..."
  - Pete Townshend, The Who, "You better you bet"

.. Bill Gates wants YOU... ok, maybe just your money...
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

Re:Groovy Little Program

>  K@> Please don't post source code just for the hell of it. Most people
>  K@> will not be interested in it, and those that are could just as
easily
>  K@> get it if you gave them a pointer where to get it on the web or
through
>  K@> ftp.

>  Why not? Half of my source collection I keep is because people are kind
>  enough to post something useful. I think we should encourage it. Doing
so
>  will encourage more people to work and learn more on their own and
posting
>  it and learning from their mistakes.

Thank you.  Sometime soon (prolly this weekend) I'll repost it with
example files.  It's really a useful program if you need quick
and dirty DOCs for a program you wrote.  And you can use it
freely, I'd just like to see a line somewhere that says "Thanks
to Phil Bordelon", but even that's not necessary. *shrug* I don't do
it for money, certainly.

Phil Bordelon
(wanna see something I wrote a long time ago?
ftp://mck2.challenger.net
and go to the /pub/cs2 directory or something.
get bordelon.zip.  Cheezy game, but it was fun
as hell making it. :)

Re:Groovy Little Program

-=[ In:deran...@mailhost.ksne was heard to say... ]=-

 In> Kim.forwood @access.crcn. was heard talking behind All's back on
 In> 03-11-97  09:52 about Groovy Little Program.

 K@> Please don't post source code just for the hell of it. Most people
 K@> will not be interested in it, and those that are could just as easily
 K@> get it if you gave them a pointer where to get it on the web or through
 K@> ftp.

 In> Why not? Half of my source collection I keep is because people are
 In> kind enough to post something useful. I think we should encourage it.

Why not is because this isn't a source code repository. As I said, if people
want to collect a lot of source code samples they normally go to where it
can be found on the web or through ftp. If you want to make your source
available to others then I suggest you put it up at one of these places, or
submit it to SWAG.

It's more economical for everyone, including all the people who run
newservers, if it's done this way, since a copy of every post ends up being
stored on every single newserver, taking up multiples of bandwidth while
it's still alive. Also, posting source to newsgroups only makes it available
for a short time due to the quick overturn of messages. Puttiing it up on
a web page mkes it available for as long as a person likes. Putting it up
on an ftp site makes it available permanently.

 In> Doing so will encourage more people to work and learn more on their
 In> own and posting it and learning from their mistakes.

By not doing so, more people will spend more time learning through writing
their own code than they would using someone else's (and possibly never
learning anything more than how to kludge pieces of other people's code
together).

I don't even need to mention the problems with students cheating on homework
assignments that your idea would encourage...

  /-=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=-\
  $                  Kim Forwood  <kim.forw...@crcn.net>                 %
  %        Author of Disk Ease v0.9.1 Floppy Disk Indexer/Database       $
  $              http://goodship.cn.camriv.bc.ca/~kforwood/              %
  \-=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=-/
            WARNING:  Unsolicited advertising will be reported
                  to your ISP. Flames merely laughed at.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

Re:Groovy Little Program

-=[ In:slvrt...@intersurf.com was heard to say... ]=-

 >  In> Methinks I found some sample files on my computer.
 >  In> Might post them tonight. :)
 >
 >  In> Phil Bordelon
 >
 > Please don't post source code just for the hell of it. Most people will
 not
 > be interested in it, and those that are could just as easily get it if
 you
 > gave them a pointer where to get it on the web or through ftp.

 In> or you could just not download it.  It's not that long of a message,
 In> and there's a lot worse spam on the Usenet, believe me.

 In> Phil

I can't "just not download it". And using the excuse that there's already
worse spamming on the net is bullshit. I have ZERO tolerance for spam. I'll
just be emailing it all back to you until you get the point.

  /-=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=-\
  $                  Kim Forwood  <kim.forw...@crcn.net>                 %
  %        Author of Disk Ease v0.9.1 Floppy Disk Indexer/Database       $
  $              http://goodship.cn.camriv.bc.ca/~kforwood/              %
  \-=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=-/
            WARNING:  Unsolicited advertising will be reported
                  to your ISP. Flames merely laughed at.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

Re:Groovy Little Program

In article <01bc2f39$9788d660$857bdacd@philbord> of Wed, 12 Mar 1997
22:59:56 in comp.lang.pascal.borland, Phil Bordelon

<slvrt...@intersurf.com> wrote:
>>  K@> Please don't post source code just for the hell of it. Most people
>>  K@> will not be interested in it, and those that are could just as
>easily
>>  K@> get it if you gave them a pointer where to get it on the web or
>through
>>  K@> ftp.

>>  Why not? Half of my source collection I keep is because people are kind
>>  enough to post something useful. I think we should encourage it. Doing
>so
>>  will encourage more people to work and learn more on their own and
>posting
>>  it and learning from their mistakes.

>Thank you.  Sometime soon (prolly this weekend) I'll repost it with
>example files.  It's really a useful program if you need quick
>and dirty DOCs for a program you wrote.  And you can use it
>freely, I'd just like to see a line somewhere that says "Thanks
>to Phil Bordelon", but even that's not necessary. *shrug* I don't do
>it for money, certainly.

Don't do that.  The consequences may be acceptable within North America,
but many users of this group pay for dial-up time by the second, at
quite a significant rate.  Posting binaries, off-topic material, and
large sources is extremely inconsiderate.  If you start doing that
regularly, you will get killfiled and forgotten by many, while others
will deem you to be a person of no judgement.

You should be able to get Web space, as I have (programs/ at URL below)
where you can place your material; and any worthwhile stuff would be
welcomed on an FTP site.

--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK.    j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk    Turnpike v1.12    MIME.
  Web URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ -- includes FAQqish topics and links.

Re:Groovy Little Program

Kim.forwood @access.crcn. was heard talking behind All's back on
 03-12-97  21:43 about Groovy Little Program.

 K@> Why not is because this isn't a source code repository. As I said, if
 K@> people want to collect a lot of source code samples they normally go to
 K@> where it can be found on the web or through ftp. If you want to make
 K@> your source available to others then I suggest you put it up at one of
 K@> these places, or submit it to SWAG.

 Well one case in hand is that not everyone has WWW/FTP access, some people
 like myself are reading this off a local BBS.

 K@> By not doing so, more people will spend more time learning through
 K@> writing their own code than they would using someone else's (and
 K@> possibly never learning anything more than how to kludge pieces of
 K@> other people's code together).

 By doing so would encourage people and help to "tinker" with the
 already written code. Why should they have to "re-invent the wheel"?

 I think if everyone did not post any code on this newsgroup or in any
 mail network at all it would defeat the purpose of such message areas.

 Why restrict people from very useful tools? I can not speak for others
 but I myself learned a great deal within just 20 months of learning
 Turbo Pascal due to these messages - most of them were other peoples
 code being posted that I eventually learned to manipulate for my
 own private uses.

 In your post you mentioned SWAG and other resources. If you think not
 posting source here is gonna prevent cheating then your dead wrong. People
 will just see the references to those and use those. Although I myself
 do not think that it is cheating to post useful sources/units/etc to
 people who need help on assignments. Posting the work _done_ for them
 is something else. In my previous post which you may have read by now
 I explained the reason as to why I feel its ok about this, as long as
 you dont explicity solve the problem for them.

.. If people listened to themselves, they would shut up.
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

Re:Groovy Little Program

Phil Bordelon (slvrt...@intersurf.com) wrote:
> Thank you.  Sometime soon (prolly this weekend) I'll repost it with
> example files.

Don't do that!
See my posting about "Re: text bit format (attr".

Is it really so hard to put it on a web site/upload it to some ftp site/
post it to a binaries group, and put just a pointer here?

--
Frank Heckenbach, Erlangen, Germany
heck...@mi.uni-erlangen.de

Re:Groovy Little Program

-=[ In:deran...@homershut.sys was heard to say... ]=-

 In> Kim.forwood @access.crcn. was heard talking behind All's back on
 In> 03-12-97  21:43 about Groovy Little Program.

 K@> Why not is because this isn't a source code repository. As I said, if
 K@> people want to collect a lot of source code samples they normally go to
 K@> where it can be found on the web or through ftp. If you want to make
 K@> your source available to others then I suggest you put it up at one of
 K@> these places, or submit it to SWAG.

 In> Well one case in hand is that not everyone has WWW/FTP access, some
 In> people like myself are reading this off a local BBS.

But if you look back in this thread you will find information I posted on
how to retrieve Doctor Bob's Guide to Internet by Email, which explains
how to access just about any internet resource through email, including
ftp and the web.

 K@> By not doing so, more people will spend more time learning through
 K@> writing their own code than they would using someone else's (and
 K@> possibly never learning anything more than how to kludge pieces of
 K@> other people's code together).

 In> By doing so would encourage people and help to "tinker" with the
 In> already written code. Why should they have to "re-invent the wheel"?

 In> I think if everyone did not post any code on this newsgroup or in any
 In> mail network at all it would defeat the purpose of such message
 In> areas.

That's not what I'm saying.

 In> Why restrict people from very useful tools? I can not speak for
 In> others but I myself learned a great deal within just 20 months of
 In> learning Turbo Pascal due to these messages - most of them were other
 In> peoples code being posted that I eventually learned to manipulate for
 In> my own private uses.

 In> In your post you mentioned SWAG and other resources. If you think not
 In> posting source here is gonna prevent cheating then your dead wrong.

That is only one reason I and many other regular posters here don't want
source code posted willy nilly.

 In> People will just see the references to those and use those. Although I
 In> myself do not think that it is cheating to post useful
 In> sources/units/etc to people who need help on assignments. Posting the
 In> work _done_ for them is something else. In my previous post which you
 In> may have read by now I explained the reason as to why I feel its ok
 In> about this, as long as you dont explicity solve the problem for them.

It's not just homework assignments I'm concerned about! Yeesh! If you want
all sorts of source code samples and you're too lazy to use the guide I
gave pointers to in another post, then just ask people to send you code
through email. Shit, I'll flood your mailbox with megabytes of source if
you want, just ask (I don't mean that as a threat to mailbomb you, I mean
it as an offering).

This whole thread has been twisted to the point where people such as
yourself think I'm arguing that *no* code should be posted, which is not
what I'm saying. READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!!! It started when someone said
they were going to start posting their programs just for the hell of it.
If I did that with just my small programs you'd be wading through 1,000's
of lines of source, much of it you would have no interest in... and if
everybody did the same this newsgroup would become unusable for it's
intended purpose, which is to *discuss* and *help* each other in the use
of Borland's Pascal language, not to be a text based repository.

 In> .. If people listened to themselves, they would shut up.

If people read the entire thread they wouldn't argue points that have
already been addressed.

I won't argue any further on this. Read the thread, since all this has been
gone over already, and the responses to your arguments are there.

  /-=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=-\
  $                  Kim Forwood  <kim.forw...@crcn.net>                 %
  %        Author of Disk Ease v0.9.2 Floppy Disk Indexer/Database       $
  $              http://goodship.cn.camriv.bc.ca/~kforwood/              %
  \-=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=--=oOo=-/
            WARNING:  Unsolicited advertising will be reported
                  to your ISP. Flames merely laughed at.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

Other Threads