200 SQL Request per second !!

Hi

I have a SQL problem and need your advice and opinion.  We have a DCOM
(written in delphi) application running on multiple machines. The
application
will get about 200 SQL requests each second.

The application runs on a 4 pentium box and needs to call stored procedures
on a MSSQL Server 70 which also runs on a 4 pentium box.

The questions I have are: Should we use,

  Odbc only without BDE.  If yes ODBCExpress, ODBC98 or something else ?
  ADO. If yes what components or Delphi 5 ?
  MultiThreading. If yes how many threads should we maximum use and
  has some an example project with threads and SQL?

Anything else what you could teach me or warn me about would be great

Thanks

Jan
SkyLine Tools

Re:200 SQL Request per second !!

Hi Jan,

i would use ODBC directly (do not use BDE ;-) ). I have good experiences
with ODBCExpress.
If you try to use MultiThreading be shure that your ODBC-Driver supports the
asynchron modus - for that case, that you need to stop a query! For Example:
SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.4 supports stopping a query - but the ODBC-Driver do not
:-(

cu

Boris

Jan Dekkers <j...@imagelib.com> wrote in message

> I have a SQL problem and need your advice and opinion.  We have a DCOM
> (written in delphi) application running on multiple machines. The
> application
> will get about 200 SQL requests each second.

> The application runs on a 4 pentium box and needs to call stored
procedures
> on a MSSQL Server 70 which also runs on a 4 pentium box.

> The questions I have are: Should we use,

>   Odbc only without BDE.  If yes ODBCExpress, ODBC98 or something else ?
>   ADO. If yes what components or Delphi 5 ?
>   MultiThreading. If yes how many threads should we maximum use and
>   has some an example project with threads and SQL?

> Anything else what you could teach me or warn me about would be great

> Thanks

> Jan
> SkyLine Tools

Re:200 SQL Request per second !!

Use ODBC directly, not ADO (ADO is above ODBC).

If your ODBC Driver is thread safe use as many threads as you need.

Our ODBC Driver isn't thread safe, our app is still multithreaded but
serializing at the DB Interface by a Critical Section.

Important: Most DB's behave better when Transaction encapsulation is well
designed.

Attention: DCOM has Bugs under 95/98. But I would still recommend to use it!

Re:200 SQL Request per second !!

The fastest would be ADO using OLEDB SQLServer7 native access library.
Actually, the fastest would be using OLEDB directly, but ADO is not
that heavy and much easier to program with.
--
Randy Charles Morin
http://www.kbcafe.com/randycharlesmorin.html

In article <7pd2u5$...@forums.borland.com>,
  "Jan Dekkers" <j...@imagelib.com> wrote:

> Hi

> I have a SQL problem and need your advice and opinion.  We have a DCOM
> (written in delphi) application running on multiple machines. The
> application
> will get about 200 SQL requests each second.

> The application runs on a 4 pentium box and needs to call stored
procedures
> on a MSSQL Server 70 which also runs on a 4 pentium box.

> The questions I have are: Should we use,

>   Odbc only without BDE.  If yes ODBCExpress, ODBC98 or something
else ?
>   ADO. If yes what components or Delphi 5 ?
>   MultiThreading. If yes how many threads should we maximum use and
>   has some an example project with threads and SQL?

> Anything else what you could teach me or warn me about would be great

> Thanks

> Jan
> SkyLine Tools

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Re:200 SQL Request per second !!

Thanks Boris

What do you mean with stoping a query, can't odbc handle multiple queries
simultaniously ?

Jan

Boris Nienke wrote in message <7pdi9k$j...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi Jan,

>i would use ODBC directly (do not use BDE ;-) ). I have good experiences
>with ODBCExpress.
>If you try to use MultiThreading be shure that your ODBC-Driver supports
the
>asynchron modus - for that case, that you need to stop a query! For
Example:
>SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.4 supports stopping a query - but the ODBC-Driver do not
>:-(

>cu

>Boris

>Jan Dekkers <j...@imagelib.com> wrote in message
>> I have a SQL problem and need your advice and opinion.  We have a DCOM
>> (written in delphi) application running on multiple machines. The
>> application
>> will get about 200 SQL requests each second.

>> The application runs on a 4 pentium box and needs to call stored
>procedures
>> on a MSSQL Server 70 which also runs on a 4 pentium box.

>> The questions I have are: Should we use,

>>   Odbc only without BDE.  If yes ODBCExpress, ODBC98 or something else ?
>>   ADO. If yes what components or Delphi 5 ?
>>   MultiThreading. If yes how many threads should we maximum use and
>>   has some an example project with threads and SQL?

>> Anything else what you could teach me or warn me about would be great

>> Thanks

>> Jan
>> SkyLine Tools

Other Threads