delphi produces different images on every build-time?

Without any touch of source,
delphi produces different target images(EXE or DLL) whenever I build my
project.

Who do you know this reason?

I'd like to find the reason for this:
1) Build all your project and then copy your project.exe into a.exe
2) Without any modification of source code, once more build all, and then
copy it into b.exe
3) When you compare a.exe and b.exe using 'fc' command, some image
differences
    will be scrolled on your screen.
=> This means that delphi produces different images on every build-time
    for the same source code.

Please tell me how to get the same target images on every build-time
in case that any source is not modified.

Re:delphi produces different images on every build-time?

: "? 1? ?" <mcc...@jusun.co.kr> wrote:

>Without any touch of source,
>delphi produces different target images(EXE or DLL) whenever I build my
>project.

>Who do you know this reason?

>I'd like to find the reason for this:
>1) Build all your project and then copy your project.exe into a.exe
>2) Without any modification of source code, once more build all, and then
>copy it into b.exe
>3) When you compare a.exe and b.exe using 'fc' command, some image
>differences
>    will be scrolled on your screen.
>=> This means that delphi produces different images on every build-time
>    for the same source code.

>Please tell me how to get the same target images on every build-time
>in case that any source is not modified.

Check whether you include version information and whether you have
"auto-increment on each build" (or something like that) checked.

--
Stefan.Hoffmeister (at) Uni-Passau.de
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/Delphi

Private email regarding Delphi will usually be ignored
unless it has been expressedly invited.

no.s...@address.in.signature (Stefan Hoffmeister) wrote:
>: "? 1? ?" <mcc...@jusun.co.kr> wrote:

>>Without any touch of source,
>>delphi produces different target images(EXE or DLL) whenever I build my
>>project.

>>Who do you know this reason?

>>I'd like to find the reason for this:
>>1) Build all your project and then copy your project.exe into a.exe
>>2) Without any modification of source code, once more build all, and then
>>copy it into b.exe
>>3) When you compare a.exe and b.exe using 'fc' command, some image
>>differences
>>    will be scrolled on your screen.
>>=> This means that delphi produces different images on every build-time
>>    for the same source code.

>>Please tell me how to get the same target images on every build-time
>>in case that any source is not modified.

>Check whether you include version information and whether you have
>"auto-increment on each build" (or something like that) checked.

It would be helpful if the original poster gave more of a clue about
what was different.

In Delphi 1 I noticed you get a different .dfm file every time you
save an unmodified form (at least the results are different when
converting the .dfm to text).

It made a real mess trying to keep text versions of the froms in a
revision control system.

Cheers Terry...

Re:delphi produces different images on every build-time?

I've run into the same thing.  Try this, open delphi, compile.  (Nothing
else, just compile, I know this will create a project1.exe in your delphi
directory, but you can toast that later)  Rename the compiled file to
project2.exe then compile again in delphi, no changes, no version info
(assuming it isn't your default) now compare the two files using fc
fc project1.exe project2.exe
Comparing files Project1.exe and project2.exe
00029204: BA 70
00029244: BA 70
0002928C: BA 70

I have found no reason for it, and it's a REAL nuisance when your doing CRC
checking on the program.

"K R M" <x...@nucleus.com> wrote:

>I've run into the same thing.  Try this, open delphi, compile.  (Nothing
>else, just compile, I know this will create a project1.exe in your delphi
>directory, but you can toast that later)  Rename the compiled file to
>project2.exe then compile again in delphi, no changes, no version info
>(assuming it isn't your default) now compare the two files using fc
>fc project1.exe project2.exe
>Comparing files Project1.exe and project2.exe
>00029204: BA 70
>00029244: BA 70
>0002928C: BA 70

>I have found no reason for it, and it's a REAL nuisance when your doing CRC
>checking on the program.

Duh, I looked. The Win32 PE file format has time/date stamps in the
resource directory entries - you better skip over them or skip the
resource segment in you CRC checking.

Cheers Terry...

terry.har...@dial.pipex.com (Terry Harris) wrote:
>"K R M" <x...@nucleus.com> wrote:

>>I've run into the same thing.  Try this, open delphi, compile.  (Nothing
>>else, just compile, I know this will create a project1.exe in your delphi
>>directory, but you can toast that later)  Rename the compiled file to
>>project2.exe then compile again in delphi, no changes, no version info
>>(assuming it isn't your default) now compare the two files using fc
>>fc project1.exe project2.exe
>>Comparing files Project1.exe and project2.exe
>>00029204: BA 70
>>00029244: BA 70
>>0002928C: BA 70

>>I have found no reason for it, and it's a REAL nuisance when your doing CRC
>>checking on the program.

>Duh, I looked. The Win32 PE file format has time/date stamps in the
>resource directory entries - you better skip over them or skip the
>resource segment in you CRC checking.

Thinking more I don't know exactly what the definition of the
time/date stamp fields is. Delphi appears to be inserting the compile
time, the resource source file last modified time/date would be far
more sensible (and not cause you problems).

Cheers Terry...

Re:delphi produces different images on every build-time?

: terry.har...@dial.pipex.com (Terry Harris) wrote:

>"K R M" <x...@nucleus.com> wrote:

>>I've run into the same thing.  Try this, open delphi, compile.  (Nothing
>>else, just compile, I know this will create a project1.exe in your delphi
>>directory, but you can toast that later)  Rename the compiled file to
>>project2.exe then compile again in delphi, no changes, no version info
>>(assuming it isn't your default) now compare the two files using fc
>>fc project1.exe project2.exe
>>Comparing files Project1.exe and project2.exe
>>00029204: BA 70
>>00029244: BA 70
>>0002928C: BA 70

>>I have found no reason for it, and it's a REAL nuisance when your doing CRC
>>checking on the program.

>Duh, I looked. The Win32 PE file format has time/date stamps in the
>resource directory entries - you better skip over them or skip the
>resource segment in you CRC checking.

Which - I believe - is written as "0" for all Borland linkers. And
"00029204" is way too far into the file for the PE time stamp.

--
Stefan.Hoffmeister (at) Uni-Passau.de
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/Delphi
   DIR: Delphi FAQs, KBs, docs

Private email regarding Delphi will usually be ignored
unless it has been expressedly invited.

Other Threads