Newbie: Using Delphi 2.0 for Math

Hello all!

I'm one of those people that always used FORTRAN and then discovered the
wonderful world of PASCAL...but never went all the way to C. So I solve
all my programming needs with good ol' TURBO PASCAL.

I've been thinking of "upgrading" to Delphi 2.0 because, as I understand
it, it is an Object Oriented Pascal Compiler plus a GUI development tool
(true?). What I'm working on right now is my Operations Research
Master's thesis and I would like to make it a full fledged application
with a snazzy GUI. My thesis is very mathematical in nature and I
require good precision and double-real variables (which I know Delphi
2.0 has). Most operations consist of matrix operations (matrices should
not exceed 20x20) and solving systems of differential equations (using
Runge-Kutta or some Predictor-Corrector method).

I don't foresee needing complex math functions like Arccos which, if I
remember correctly, are NOT included in the desktop Delphi 2.0 version.
Also, I think I should mention that there will be NO databases involved.
Just straight data input, solving the problem and presenting output.

So, what do you think? Am I correct in my Delphi 2.0 facts? Can the
desktop version handle this kind of project or do you think maybe it's
overkill? Anyone out there have any experience with Delphi in a math
setting? In the event that I DO need advanced math functions, what do
you suggest?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some time to consider my situation
and answer my questions.

Merry Christmas and Happy 1997!!

Regards,

--
Visit my ALL NEW homepage: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~peguaris/WWW/
* Pavel E. Guarisma N.                   Raleigh, N.C.                 *

Re:Newbie: Using Delphi 2.0 for Math

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:14:09 -0500, "Pavel E. Guarisma"

<pegua...@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:
>I've been thinking of "upgrading" to Delphi 2.0 because, as I understand
>it, it is an Object Oriented Pascal Compiler plus a GUI development tool
>(true?). What I'm working on right now is my Operations Research
>Master's thesis and I would like to make it a full fledged application
>with a snazzy GUI. My thesis is very mathematical in nature and I
>require good precision and double-real variables (which I know Delphi
>2.0 has). Most operations consist of matrix operations (matrices should
>not exceed 20x20) and solving systems of differential equations (using
>Runge-Kutta or some Predictor-Corrector method).

>I don't foresee needing complex math functions like Arccos which, if I
>remember correctly, are NOT included in the desktop Delphi 2.0 version.
>Also, I think I should mention that there will be NO databases involved.
>Just straight data input, solving the problem and presenting output.

>So, what do you think? Am I correct in my Delphi 2.0 facts? Can the
>desktop version handle this kind of project or do you think maybe it's
>overkill? Anyone out there have any experience with Delphi in a math
>setting? In the event that I DO need advanced math functions, what do
>you suggest?

Delphi will work fine. If you do need math functions, look around for
some free ones. Most are fairly simple to write because they would use
the floating point coprocessor and its FSIN, etc., instructions.
(Well, it's not really simple...). If you cannot find anything, then
you must upgrade to Delphi 2 Developer. Get the educational discount!
--
Ray Lischner, Tempest Software, Inc., Corvallis, Oregon, USA
Author of Secrets of Delphi 2 (http://www.tempest-sw.com/secrets/)

<pegua...@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:
>I've been thinking of "upgrading" to Delphi 2.0 because, as I understand
>it, it is an Object Oriented Pascal Compiler plus a GUI development tool
>(true?). What I'm working on right now is my Operations Research
>Master's thesis and I would like to make it a full fledged application
>with a snazzy GUI. My thesis is very mathematical in nature and I
>require good precision and double-real variables (which I know Delphi
>2.0 has). Most operations consist of matrix operations (matrices should
>not exceed 20x20) and solving systems of differential equations (using
>Runge-Kutta or some Predictor-Corrector method).

>So, what do you think? Am I correct in my Delphi 2.0 facts? Can the
>desktop version handle this kind of project or do you think maybe it's
>overkill? Anyone out there have any experience with Delphi in a math
>setting? In the event that I DO need advanced math functions, what do

I use Delphi 1 and 2 to provice engineering programs to our structural
group.  In 1.0 I had to find a set of math functions to handle mundane
tasks like raising a number to an exponent, etc.etc.  All thats
included in version 2.o (I have the developer version).

However...I should warn you that there are NO built in functions or
procedures for matrix manipulation.  I wrote all mine to do solution
of simultaneous equations .  I too came from a Fortran background.  My
biggest thing was going from row -> column orientation to column->row
for all my old subroutines I had to convert.  Also, working with 2-d
arrays of dynamic scope is a {*word*81}!  I ended up working with some
monster arrays and using some tricks with Pointers so I could exceed
the 64K limit!

It's a challenge....but Delphi has incredible power and a monster user
base from which to draw support.....good luck, but DO USE DELPHI

Re:Newbie: Using Delphi 2.0 for Math

> So, what do you think? Am I correct in my Delphi 2.0 facts? Can the

Yep.

> desktop version handle this kind of project or do you think maybe it's
> overkill? Anyone out there have any experience with Delphi in a math

Sure it can. The only thing you get with developer is the source code, and
the math unit.

> setting? In the event that I DO need advanced math functions, what do
> you suggest?

Send me an e-mail, and I shall send you a math unit. It is remarkably
similar to Borland's. Incredibly so. Even the same size! ;-)

--

Mark P
-----------

Re:Newbie: Using Delphi 2.0 for Math

In article <32c8520b.10580...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
  jchenwo...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Jeff Chenoweth) wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:14:09 -0500, "Pavel E. Guarisma"
> <pegua...@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> >I've been thinking of "upgrading" to Delphi 2.0 because, as I understand
> >it, it is an Object Oriented Pascal Compiler plus a GUI development tool
> >(true?). What I'm working on right now is my Operations Research
> >Master's thesis and I would like to make it a full fledged application
> >with a snazzy GUI. My thesis is very mathematical in nature and I
> >require good precision and double-real variables (which I know Delphi
> >2.0 has). Most operations consist of matrix operations (matrices should
> >not exceed 20x20) and solving systems of differential equations (using
> >Runge-Kutta or some Predictor-Corrector method).

> >So, what do you think? Am I correct in my Delphi 2.0 facts? Can the
> >desktop version handle this kind of project or do you think maybe it's
> >overkill? Anyone out there have any experience with Delphi in a math
> >setting?

     I missed the original post here. My advice there would be DO get
Delphi, but get the Developer version, not the Desktop version.
Mainly because there's a math.pas included in the Developer version.
Not that there's anything in the math unit that's going to help with
your matrices and differential equations, it just seems silly to get
the Desktop version under the circumstances (especially since you'll
qualify for the "academic" version, which is pretty close to free.)

> I use Delphi 1 and 2 to provice engineering programs to our structural
> group.  In 1.0 I had to find a set of math functions to handle mundane
> tasks like raising a number to an exponent, etc.etc.  All thats
> included in version 2.o (I have the developer version).

> However...I should warn you that there are NO built in functions or
> procedures for matrix manipulation.  I wrote all mine to do solution
> of simultaneous equations .  I too came from a Fortran background.  My
> biggest thing was going from row -> column orientation to column->row
> for all my old subroutines I had to convert.  Also, working with 2-d
> arrays of dynamic scope is a {*word*81}!  I ended up working with some
> monster arrays and using some tricks with Pointers so I could exceed
> the 64K limit!

       Have you upgraded to D2 yet? Things like this are suddenly
much easier with the flat memory model. (Hmm, you still need to
address the entries yourself if it's a dynamic 2-d array, but the
64K nastiness is gone.)

David Ullrich

Re:Newbie: Using Delphi 2.0 for Math

> > On Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:14:09 -0500, "Pavel E. Guarisma"
> > <pegua...@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> > >I've been thinking of "upgrading" to Delphi 2.0 because, as I understand
> > >it, it is an Object Oriented Pascal Compiler plus a GUI development tool
> > >(true?). What I'm working on right now is my Operations Research
> > >Master's thesis and I would like to make it a full fledged application
> > >with a snazzy GUI. My thesis is very mathematical in nature and I
> > >require good precision and double-real variables (which I know Delphi
> > >2.0 has). Most operations consist of matrix operations (matrices should
> > >not exceed 20x20) and solving systems of differential equations (using
> > >Runge-Kutta or some Predictor-Corrector method).

> > >So, what do you think? Am I correct in my Delphi 2.0 facts? Can the
> > >desktop version handle this kind of project or do you think maybe it's
> > >overkill? Anyone out there have any experience with Delphi in a math
> > >setting?

Maybe you want to have a look at my Delphi pages. There are four units
dealing with math stuff (statistics, vectors, matrices, curve fitting,
eigenvectors, ...):

         http://echm10.tuwien.ac.at/inst/lo/

Look out for "Delphi components".

Regards, Hans.
**   Hans Lohninger                                  **
**   Institute of General Chemistry                  **
**   Vienna University of Technology                 **
**   Getreidemarkt 9/152                             **
**   A-1060 Vienna, Austria                          **
**   email:  hlohn...@email.tuwien.ac.at             **
**   fax:    ++43-1-581-1915                         **
**   voice:  ++43-1-58801-5048                       **
**   WWW:    http://echm10.tuwien.ac.at/inst/lo/     **