Delphi4 - Oracle8 client - Oracle 7 server

Using Delphi 4 and connecting to an Oracle 7.3.4 data base with an Oracle
8.0.5 client layer I am getting an ORA-12663 error.

I get the error when I place one TTable on a form and set the database name,
table name and try to make it active.

If I use SQLExplorer I can connect to the database, use sql to query the
table, but I can't use the Data tab in Explorer to interogate the data.

It seems, from the error, that the client is trying to make an unsupported
request of the server.  However, I can't seem to figure out exactly what the
problem might be.

Any insights.

-greg