Getting Started, Please help!

Hey,
   I am just getting  started with Turbo Pascal, and was needing some
good startup reference materials.  If anyone has a good book or other
materials to suggest, please let me know.  I have very little other
programming experience (other than very basic GW-BASIC, as well as
QBasic).
  Sorry if this question is answered often, I thought it might be in
the  FAQ, but couldn't find it.
        Thanks in advance,
        Jared Warren

Re:Getting Started, Please help!

In article <41gheq$...@mercury.texoma.com> jwar...@texoma.com (Jared Warren) writes:
>   I am just getting  started with Turbo Pascal, and was needing some
>good startup reference materials.  If anyone has a good book or other
>materials to suggest, please let me know.  I have very little other
>programming experience (other than very basic GW-BASIC, as well as
>QBasic).
>  Sorry if this question is answered often, I thought it might be in
>the  FAQ, but couldn't find it.
>        Thanks in advance,
>        Jared Warren

I don't have specific recommendations on books but find that most texts
dealing with either TP or Delphi have a good introductory section on Pascal.
If you have a college or community-college within reach then you might find
textbooks there or consider a 15-week course as a good investment.  (You get
to talk to other people who are struggling as you.)

The best way I've found for learning a language is to get a book with a lot of
examples and a disk that is included.  "Read the source, Luke!"

Many authors fill many pages with a painstaking, step-by-step analysis of
their tools and why they wrote it the way they did, and those authors probably
wonder if anyone reads them.  Well, if you actually DO, and take your time
about it, you'll learn a lot.

One thing to stick in the back of your mind, IMHO, is the recognition that
both Pascal and GW-BASIC, which you know somewhat already, are tools that do
more or less the same thing in more or less the same way.  Look for
similarities and differences as you go.

Incidentally, Delphi, which is based on TP, might be a better thing to start
with at this point.

/mr/

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Jared Warren wrote:
> Hey,
>    I am just getting  started with Turbo Pascal, and was needing some
> good startup reference materials.  If anyone has a good book or other
> materials to suggest, please let me know.  I have very little other

When I started coding in Pascal, I used a tutorial from "Coronado
Enterprises". It is an excellent written introduction to the fundamentals
of Turbo Pascal. It is an tutorial which consists of ASCII text files on
diskette, which you can print out, if you want. Additionally, you find
some source codes in this tutorial. You will find this tutorial on
several BBS.

Hope it helps a little.

cu
Christian Mathes

* Programming is similar to sex. If you make a mistake, you have to
support it for the rest of your life *

Other Threads