Changing BDE settings

Hi all,

I'd like to hear some opinions on this:
There are quite a few programs that use the BDE. These programs
configured the BDE to fit their needs very differently. Some just need
it to be installed, other need some special settings. Now my program,
that comes along with BDE, should be installed. I probably need to
change some BDE settings. That's my problem: Should I do this? When will
I really need to make changes to the BDE settings? The changes I would
make are paradox language driver, the .net file directory and the local
share property. Changes I do here (especially the language driver) could
cause problems in the other apps.
To be more specific: I'd like to install the BDE from the BDEINST.CAB
file. Its BDE settings may not fit my needs. Should I install the BDE
from this file and then just change the settings?

Thanks,

Martin Golm
Reico GmbH

Re:Changing BDE settings

Just some ideas...

I create a BDE alias "on the fly" so there are some settings I dont have to
depend on. The net dir can be changed on the fly. - before you start your
session. You must alter the session variable Session.NetFileDir. The local
share parameter is a registry value. You can update it yourself in the
registry from your program and then instruct the user to reboot (or restart
all bde applications). I havent tried it but you may be able to change this
setting before you start your session - be carefull - Its probably better to
reboot anyway.

Mike

Martin Golm <Entwickl...@reico.de> wrote in message

> Hi all,

> I'd like to hear some opinions on this:
> There are quite a few programs that use the BDE. These programs
> configured the BDE to fit their needs very differently. Some just need
> it to be installed, other need some special settings. Now my program,
> that comes along with BDE, should be installed. I probably need to
> change some BDE settings. That's my problem: Should I do this? When will
> I really need to make changes to the BDE settings? The changes I would
> make are paradox language driver, the .net file directory and the local
> share property. Changes I do here (especially the language driver) could
> cause problems in the other apps.
> To be more specific: I'd like to install the BDE from the BDEINST.CAB
> file. Its BDE settings may not fit my needs. Should I install the BDE
> from this file and then just change the settings?

> Thanks,

> Martin Golm
> Reico GmbH

Re:Changing BDE settings

Mike,

thanks for reply.

> The net dir can be changed on the fly. - before you start your
> session. You must alter the session variable Session.NetFileDir.

Oh, I forgot that :(

> The local
> share parameter is a registry value. You can update it yourself in the
> registry from your program and then instruct the user to reboot (or restart
> all bde applications). I havent tried it but you may be able to change this
> setting before you start your session - be carefull - Its probably better to
> reboot anyway.

Will it affect other applications other than "slowing" them? (changes
are immidiately written to the tables, this may cause the other apps to
slow down a bit.)

Martin Golm
Reico GmbH

Re:Changing BDE settings

> Will it affect other applications other than "slowing" them? (changes
> are immidiately written to the tables, this may cause the other apps to
> slow down a bit.)

That is the only effect I can think of. As you know it can cause a dramatic
slowdown for conversions and programs that do a lot of work. However, we
have had customers lose a whole days worth of data by  running with local
share set to false. Since that time our program always checks it before it
runs. If local share is not turned on, our app issues a message and quits.

Mike

Re:Changing BDE settings

try adding this funtion tou your app:

www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex/dbiopencfginfolist.html

--
========================
Salim Giacoman Mah

> Just some ideas...

> I create a BDE alias "on the fly" so there are some settings I dont have
> depend on. The net dir can be changed on the fly. - before you start your
> session. You must alter the session variable Session.NetFileDir. The local
> share parameter is a registry value. You can update it yourself in the
> registry from your program and then instruct the user to reboot (or
restart
> all bde applications). I havent tried it but you may be able to change
this
> setting before you start your session - be carefull - Its probably better
> reboot anyway.

> Mike

> Martin Golm <Entwickl...@reico.de> wrote in message
> > Hi all,

> > I'd like to hear some opinions on this:
> > There are quite a few programs that use the BDE. These programs
> > configured the BDE to fit their needs very differently. Some just need
> > it to be installed, other need some special settings. Now my program,
> > that comes along with BDE, should be installed. I probably need to
> > change some BDE settings. That's my problem: Should I do this? When will
> > I really need to make changes to the BDE settings? The changes I would
> > make are paradox language driver, the .net file directory and the local
> > share property. Changes I do here (especially the language driver) could
> > cause problems in the other apps.
> > To be more specific: I'd like to install the BDE from the BDEINST.CAB
> > file. Its BDE settings may not fit my needs. Should I install the BDE
> > from this file and then just change the settings?

> > Thanks,

> > Martin Golm
> > Reico GmbH

Other Threads