BDE 32 bit install with 16 bit BDE previously installed

We are using Installshield to deploy an upgrade to our application that also
upgrades the BDE from
2.5 to 5.11.

Here is the WIN.INI entry:

[IDAPI]
DLLPATH=C:\IDAPI
CONFIGFILE01=C:\IDAPI\IDAPI.CFG

After the install of the new BDE 5.11 the Registry entry for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Borland\Database Engine reads:

CONFIGFILE01=C:\IDAPI\IDAPI32.CFG

We want the new IDAPI32.CFG to reside in C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Borland Shared\BDE\Idapi32.CFG, where the software is installed.

1) Why is this happening? and 2) How can we correct it?

Ron Boylan

Re:BDE 32 bit install with 16 bit BDE previously installed

AFAIK the only way to get what you want is to move the configuration file
and change the registry entry after the 32 bit BDE is installed. There is no
way to change the behavior of the installer.

--
Bill

Re:BDE 32 bit install with 16 bit BDE previously installed

Why does this happen in the first place? The distributed IDAPI32.CFG is in
the Borland Shared Directory (C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Borland Shared\BDE\Idapi32.CFG), not IDAPI.

Is the 16 bit Win.ini (CONFIGFILE01=C:\IDAPI\IDAPI32.CFG) setting taking
precedence? Should we change this during the install?

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_nos...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> AFAIK the only way to get what you want is to move the configuration file
> and change the registry entry after the 32 bit BDE is installed. There is
no
> way to change the behavior of the installer.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:BDE 32 bit install with 16 bit BDE previously installed

The BDE installer assumes that if you are upgrading from the 16 bit to the
32 bit BDE you will want to share the same configuration file between the
two.

--
Bill