BDE Alias' path unable to change

We are working with version 3.0 of the BDE Configuration Utility and
various versions of the BDE. On some of the computers, we are unable to
save a drive\path name to the PATH entry--it becomes empty when you
leave the field. On some computers, this works just fine.     This is
getting to be critical, as customers are having this problem too.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed Dressel

Re:BDE Alias' path unable to change

I have never encountered that problem so I am not sure what to suggest. You
might try using the BDE Administrator and see if that solves the problem.
There may be some problem with the BDE Config utility working with BDE
versions higher than 3.xx. If the BDE config file is on a server make sure
the user has the required rights. Does this happen on all of the machines at
one site and none of the machines at another site or does it occur on some
machines and not others at a single site.

--
Bill Todd

Re:BDE Alias' path unable to change

Bill.

Thanks for your response. Below are some random thoughts of mine.

>Does this happen on all of the machines at
>one site and none of the machines at another site or does it occur on some
>machines and not others at a single site.

Some machines at some sights. We have the problem at our own sight. We are
working with various versions of the BDE, and some can edit there data, some can
not. For our clients, we have saved our tail so far: most of them have
Remotely-Possible installed, and we call in and fix it ourselves. But we are
going to get caught one day with a client who doesn't understand or want this.

When you say:

>There may be some problem with the BDE Config utility working with BDE
>versions higher than 3.xx.

This may be true, but two of us are running version 4.51 of the BDE, and I can
edit it, while the other engineer can not.

One thing we have wondered about is InstallShield. We are downloading the latest
version (a little timidly).

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
Ed Dressel

Re:BDE Alias' path unable to change

Before you change the path make sure that Alias is closed...apply
changes and then try to make a change..

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:43:06 -0800, Ed Dressel

<engineer...@brandentech.com> wrote:
>Bill.

>Thanks for your response. Below are some random thoughts of mine.

>>Does this happen on all of the machines at
>>one site and none of the machines at another site or does it occur on some
>>machines and not others at a single site.

>Some machines at some sights. We have the problem at our own sight. We are
>working with various versions of the BDE, and some can edit there data, some can
>not. For our clients, we have saved our tail so far: most of them have
>Remotely-Possible installed, and we call in and fix it ourselves. But we are
>going to get caught one day with a client who doesn't understand or want this.

>When you say:

>>There may be some problem with the BDE Config utility working with BDE
>>versions higher than 3.xx.

>This may be true, but two of us are running version 4.51 of the BDE, and I can
>edit it, while the other engineer can not.

>One thing we have wondered about is InstallShield. We are downloading the latest
>version (a little timidly).

>Any ideas would be great.

>Thanks
>Ed Dressel

Re:BDE Alias' path unable to change

Paul,

    How do you close the Alias ??? I have had similar problems changing
Alias paths. My solution was to do session.active:=False then
session.active:=True to make the changed Alias take effect. Thanks

Neil Huhta

Paul wrote in message <364e5257.14433...@forums.borland.com>...
>Before you change the path make sure that Alias is closed...apply
>changes and then try to make a change..

Other Threads