TP & DOS & WIN95 Long filenames!

Using WIN95's long filenames from DOS-program under WIN95 is easy, but
how i can detect WIN95 long filenames from plain DOS?

Can i use those same interrupts/routines what i use now, or what?

* Toni Makela                   e-mail : mak...@rtol.hamkk.fi          *
* Mustikkamaentie 4                      toni.mak...@compost.fipnet.fi *
* 11710 RIIHIMAKI               TEL    : +358-019-765608               *
* FINLAND                       WWW    : 193.166.86.77/cre/toni.html   *

Re:TP & DOS & WIN95 Long filenames!

Toni Makela wrote:

> Using WIN95's long filenames from DOS-program under WIN95 is easy, but
> how i can detect WIN95 long filenames from plain DOS?

> Can i use those same interrupts/routines what i use now, or what?

Hi,

To use and detect LFN, you must use the new DOS7.0 int 21h. *But* in
plain
DOS mode, you don't have acces to this interrupt; I mean : if you run a
DOS
window from WIN95, it will work; if you boot your computer under DOS,
you won't
be able to access LFNs  :-(

By.

--

 >> Franck Pommereau  -  pomme...@donald.univ-poitiers.fr <<

Re:TP & DOS & WIN95 Long filenames!

> > Using WIN95's long filenames from DOS-program under WIN95 is easy, but
> > how i can detect WIN95 long filenames from plain DOS?

> > Can i use those same interrupts/routines what i use now, or what?

> To use and detect LFN, you must use the new DOS7.0 int 21h. *But* in
> plain
> DOS mode, you don't have acces to this interrupt; I mean : if you run a
> DOS
> window from WIN95, it will work; if you boot your computer under DOS,
> you won't be able to access LFNs  :-(

I know that with int 21 you can access LFN from dos if you are uder
WIN95, but i just saw a program witch access LFN from DOS and there wasnt't
WIN95 on the background!

Toni Makela <mak...@rtol.hamkk.fi> wrote in article
<Pine.HPP.3.91.970228154957.3404A-100...@rtol.hamkk.fi>...

> > > Using WIN95's long filenames from DOS-program under WIN95 is easy,
but
> > > how i can detect WIN95 long filenames from plain DOS?

> > > Can i use those same interrupts/routines what i use now, or what?

> > To use and detect LFN, you must use the new DOS7.0 int 21h. *But* in
> > plain
> > DOS mode, you don't have acces to this interrupt; I mean : if you run a
> > DOS
> > window from WIN95, it will work; if you boot your computer under DOS,
> > you won't be able to access LFNs  :-(

> I know that with int 21 you can access LFN from dos if you are uder
> WIN95, but i just saw a program witch access LFN from DOS and there
wasnt't
> WIN95 on the background!

if int 21h doesn't provides LFN from pure DOS, doesn't mean that you cannot
access LFN. the program you mention might read the directory structure thru
DOS int 25h, 26h and gather LFNs for you. Of course, this would require a
good understanding of how DOS structure it's files.

From Vinson ABS.

Other Threads