Delphi Object Inspector & Database

Hi Folks!

I'm trying to implement something that functions like Delphi's Object Inspector,
especially the part where when one clicks on the a property with a "+" sign
against it, it further expands to display sub-properties. Could someone tell
me what objects were used to implement this. I tried using the grid component,
but it doesn't have all the properties needed to come up with a Object Inspector
look alike.

With regards to Delphi's database - How can one execute a Select statement and
send the results to a user defined (Delphi defined, if there is one) structure
so I can examine the results. The way it appears to me, the SQL statement and hence
the results can only be hooked to objects (like TBDGrid component).

Thanks,
Mike

Re:Delphi Object Inspector & Database

Mike B Prasad (pra...@alycia.andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:

: Hi Folks!

: I'm trying to implement something that functions like Delphi's Object Inspector,
: especially the part where when one clicks on the a property with a "+" sign
: against it, it further expands to display sub-properties. Could someone tell
: me what objects were used to implement this. I tried using the grid component,
: but it doesn't have all the properties needed to come up with a Object Inspector
: look alike.

: With regards to Delphi's database - How can one execute a Select statement and
: send the results to a user defined (Delphi defined, if there is one) structure
: so I can examine the results. The way it appears to me, the SQL statement and hence
: the results can only be hooked to objects (like TBDGrid component).

The result of a SELECT is an object (TQuery).  Look in the on-line help for
methods of TQuery.  To process all result records sequentially, try this:

with Query do
  begin
  First;
  for R := 1 to RecordCount do
    begin
    Process <FieldByName('Field1').AsString>
    Next;

Later,

Erik Turner
etur...@ccd.harris.com