BDE Windows 2000 Pro Installation Failure

My PDox database desktop commercial application, distributed as a
self-extracting zip file from my URL, includes a BDE full install (Delphi 5
Pro (after March 2000 service release), BDE 5.1.1 (before MSI merge module),
and Install Shield Express for Delphi 5 as the installer.

I am in California, my potential customer downloaded in Florida today, and
the BDE installation failed (Error 3) in that my aliases weren't added, the
BDE administrator isn't operable from the control panel.  They installed on
a Windows 2000 Pro client, to the C drive, accepted all the defaults
(programfiles\myapplication).  The error message was something like
C:\programfiles\common\borlandshared\BDE\idapi.cnf blah blah blah.  Config
merge failure, aliases not added, and that message occurred for the three
times for the 3 aliases I add in my installation.  BDEadmin.exe does open
from the explorer but gives a idapi.cfg not found, use default...  As an
aside, why isn't there an idapi32.cfg on their machine?

So I Fed-Exed them the CD-ROM version which is exactly the same as the
internet download except the install shield setup files are not contained in
a self extracting zip file.  I have to assume they will encounter the same
errors however.

Is there an issue with the BDE install and 2000 Pro that would cause the
above misbehaviors?  Or issues with Install Shield Express for Delphi 5 and
2000 Pro, remembering of course that everything is on  the client?

Thanks so much.

Charles Wood

Re:BDE Windows 2000 Pro Installation Failure

I also had similar problems installing on Win 2000 just yesterday. However,
I can start the same computer on Win '98, so I'll try again, probably
tomorrow. I'll keep you posted, but this is an issue that obviously has me
interested.

John Bleau

Re:BDE Windows 2000 Pro Installation Failure

Charles:

This may not be the same but I had a similar problem an found that when
e-mailing, FTPing the programs did not install correctly. Seems that
InstallShield has a few files that the date on them cannot be changed (which
e-mail tends to do.) I use the free InstallShield Package for the Web
http://www.installshield.com/pftw/ and no longer have any problems.

Hope this helps,

(if it doesn't I'm sure someone else has the answer) :)

Ryan

p.s. By the way I am using Win2000 Pro and have no problems with installs.

"Charles Wood" <cfw...@thegrid.net> wrote in message

> My PDox database desktop commercial application, distributed as a
> self-extracting zip file from my URL, includes a BDE full install (Delphi
5
> Pro (after March 2000 service release), BDE 5.1.1 (before MSI merge
module),
> and Install Shield Express for Delphi 5 as the installer.

> I am in California, my potential customer downloaded in Florida today, and
> the BDE installation failed (Error 3) in that my aliases weren't added,
the
> BDE administrator isn't operable from the control panel.  They installed
on
> a Windows 2000 Pro client, to the C drive, accepted all the defaults
> (programfiles\myapplication).  The error message was something like
> C:\programfiles\common\borlandshared\BDE\idapi.cnf blah blah blah.  Config
> merge failure, aliases not added, and that message occurred for the three
> times for the 3 aliases I add in my installation.  BDEadmin.exe does open
> from the explorer but gives a idapi.cfg not found, use default...  As an
> aside, why isn't there an idapi32.cfg on their machine?

> So I Fed-Exed them the CD-ROM version which is exactly the same as the
> internet download except the install shield setup files are not contained
in
> a self extracting zip file.  I have to assume they will encounter the same
> errors however.

> Is there an issue with the BDE install and 2000 Pro that would cause the
> above misbehaviors?  Or issues with Install Shield Express for Delphi 5
and
> 2000 Pro, remembering of course that everything is on  the client?

> Thanks so much.

> Charles Wood

Re:BDE Windows 2000 Pro Installation Failure

Or alternatively, forget InstallShield altogether, and try this free
alternative:

Inno setup with extensions: www.wintax.nl/isx
Use ISTool from the 3rd party section of www.innosetup.com

NB: If you d/l and install Inno Setup with Extensions
(www.wintax.nl/isx), you do not need to d/l and install the original
Inno Setup, just ISTool to give you the UI for building the script.
A complete How-to (including installing BDE) is on the the Inno Setup
site (www.innosetup.com). Don't worry about all the stuff about
creating the script manually; ISTool does it all for you (but you must
d/l the 2 files it mentions)

I, too, have had many problems with InstallShield, and was told of
this alternative. I found it very easy to use, heaps smaller than
InstallShield, faster, more reliable, and seems to create a much
smaller install file (in a single .EXE, as well!)

Any probs, send me an email.

Paul M.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:26:55 -0800, "Charles Wood"

<cfw...@thegrid.net> wrote:
>My PDox database desktop commercial application, distributed as a
>self-extracting zip file from my URL, includes a BDE full install (Delphi 5
>Pro (after March 2000 service release), BDE 5.1.1 (before MSI merge module),
>and Install Shield Express for Delphi 5 as the installer.

>I am in California, my potential customer downloaded in Florida today, and
>the BDE installation failed (Error 3) in that my aliases weren't added, the
>BDE administrator isn't operable from the control panel.  They installed on
>a Windows 2000 Pro client, to the C drive, accepted all the defaults
>(programfiles\myapplication).  The error message was something like
>C:\programfiles\common\borlandshared\BDE\idapi.cnf blah blah blah.  Config
>merge failure, aliases not added, and that message occurred for the three
>times for the 3 aliases I add in my installation.  BDEadmin.exe does open
>from the explorer but gives a idapi.cfg not found, use default...  As an
>aside, why isn't there an idapi32.cfg on their machine?

>So I Fed-Exed them the CD-ROM version which is exactly the same as the
>internet download except the install shield setup files are not contained in
>a self extracting zip file.  I have to assume they will encounter the same
>errors however.

>Is there an issue with the BDE install and 2000 Pro that would cause the
>above misbehaviors?  Or issues with Install Shield Express for Delphi 5 and
>2000 Pro, remembering of course that everything is on  the client?

>Thanks so much.

>Charles Wood

Re:BDE Windows 2000 Pro Installation Failure

Was the user logged on as Administrator when he/she ran the installation?
This might be a rights issue.

--
Bill

Re:BDE Windows 2000 Pro Installation Failure

It was a rights issue, although even as Administrator and with a Fed-Exed
installation CD-ROM my aliases had to be added through the BDE
Administrator.

The existence of a Install Shield for the Web utility (like a winzip self
extracter) and their description of the reason for creating it makes me
think that bits can get lost via an internet download distribution, although
I wonder if using a winzip self-extracting file accomplishes the same
protection Install Shield suggests is necessary?

Thanks.

Charlie

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <b...@nospamdbginc.com> wrote in message

> Was the user logged on as Administrator when he/she ran the installation?
> This might be a rights issue.

> --
> Bill

Other Threads