Delphi & Internet Explorer DDE?

Can someone 'PLEASE' give me some info on using DDE to communicate
with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.  I have found tons of info
concerning DDE and NetScape but nothing about IE.  Any help/links
would be greatly appreciated.....

Steve
spar...@tricon.net

Re:Delphi & Internet Explorer DDE?

In article <318eca19.14293...@news.tricon.net>, spar...@tricon.netW says...

>Can someone 'PLEASE' give me some info on using DDE to communicate
>with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.  I have found tons of info
>concerning DDE and NetScape but nothing about IE.  Any help/links
>would be greatly appreciated.....

>Steve
>spar...@tricon.net

I discovered this by the 'guess & test' method.  Use 'IExplore' instead of
'NETSCAPE' for the service entries.  The only topic I've used is
'WWW_GetWindowInfo' where NS, IE, and Mosaic seem to work the same except IE
tends to GPF now and then.  MS has not been helpful.

Re:Delphi & Internet Explorer DDE?

Steve Parker (spar...@tricon.net) wants us to believe that:
: Can someone 'PLEASE' give me some info on using DDE to communicate
: with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.  I have found tons of info
: concerning DDE and NetScape but nothing about IE.  Any help/links
: would be greatly appreciated.....

You can get all the info you need from http://www.spyglass.com. Go
into the Tech Info section and look up the SDI specifications. Here, it
gives the complete DDE interface specs which most (good) browsers
implement. IE does in fact implement this spec.

One thing to note is that when you pass IE a string (such as a URL), you
need to enclose that string in double quotes (") or it won't do what
it's told. Netscape doesn't seem to need these quotes.

If you need any more help, please e-mail me at walet...@mpr.ca

James.
--
James Waletzky          :: Check out SURFER CENTRAL (my home project)....
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= :: --==> the {*word*104}-versal Internet Address

waletzky@newshost (James Waletzky) wrote:
>Steve Parker (spar...@tricon.net) wants us to believe that:
>: Can someone 'PLEASE' give me some info on using DDE to communicate
>: with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.  I have found tons of info
>: concerning DDE and NetScape but nothing about IE.  Any help/links
>: would be greatly appreciated.....

>One thing to note is that when you pass IE a string (such as a URL), you
>need to enclose that string in double quotes (") or it won't do what
>it's told. Netscape doesn't seem to need these quotes.

Did anyone get this to work..

The following line load up a file in Netscape..

DDEClientConv1.SetLink('IEXPLORE', 'WWW_OpenURL');
if (not DDEClientConv1.OpenLink) then begin
            messageDlg('Could not open link', mtError, [mbOk], 0);
            exit;
end;
DDEReturn:=DDEClientConv1.RequestData('"'+FileName+'",,0xFFFFFFFF,0x1');

but in Explorer does nothing.
Why? Please help, my bottle of Ibuprofen is running low.

Thanks
Paul Ramshaw

On Sat, 11 May 1996 17:35:01 GMT, d...@bylaw.com (Batigol) wrote:
>waletzky@newshost (James Waletzky) wrote:

>>Steve Parker (spar...@tricon.net) wants us to believe that:
>>: Can someone 'PLEASE' give me some info on using DDE to communicate
>>: with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.  I have found tons of info
>>: concerning DDE and NetScape but nothing about IE.  Any help/links
>>: would be greatly appreciated.....

>>One thing to note is that when you pass IE a string (such as a URL), you
>>need to enclose that string in double quotes (") or it won't do what
>>it's told. Netscape doesn't seem to need these quotes.

>Did anyone get this to work..

>The following line load up a file in Netscape..

>DDEClientConv1.SetLink('IEXPLORE', 'WWW_OpenURL');
>if (not DDEClientConv1.OpenLink) then begin
>            messageDlg('Could not open link', mtError, [mbOk], 0);
>            exit;
>end;
>DDEReturn:=DDEClientConv1.RequestData('"'+FileName+'",,0xFFFFFFFF,0x1');

Using just the filename will only bring up your default browser. Try
using "file:c:\...". And you can change 0xFFFFFFFF to -1. Same thing.

BTW, I've tested this with Netscape, Iexplore, Mosaic and Spyglass
Mosaic, and they all behave slightly different...

>but in Explorer does nothing.
>Why? Please help, my bottle of Ibuprofen is running low.

>Thanks
>Paul Ramshaw

Good Luck

PS