Alternative SQL servers

Hi!

I'm looking for an alternative database engine

- SQL syntax must be very simular to MySQL
- Install must be easy and less than 3MB (Automated install with zero
hassles)
- Must be able to handle threaded  connections

Firebird is now top on my list, but syntax is a bit different than normal
SQL? And I'm a bit scared that it wont be stable...

Louis

Re:Alternative SQL servers

"Louis Louw" <lo...@audiorealm.com> wrote in message

> I'm looking for an alternative database engine

> - SQL syntax must be very simular to MySQL
> - Install must be easy and less than 3MB (Automated install with zero
> hassles)
> - Must be able to handle threaded  connections

What exactly is wrong with MySQL in this case?

Cheers,
  Ignacio

Re:Alternative SQL servers

The price...
I'm developing a very low cost application with some basic database needs -
the MySQL price tag is just too much.

CodeBase is also on my list of possibilities now...

Louis

> The price...
> I'm developing a very low cost application with some basic database
needs -
> the MySQL price tag is just too much.

If you use dbExpress[Plus], BDE, or ADO in your application, then your
application isn't tied to MySQL, it just happens to use it. As long as you
make the source code for MySQL available to your customers, you don't need
to pay for a licence (MySQL on-line documentation, section 1.4.3.2, point
2).

Cheers,
  Ignacio

Re:Alternative SQL servers

Their licensing changed - you now need to pay for use in commercial
products.
Plus its a 13MB install - which is overkill for what I need

The list of alternatives so far:
- SQLite (Free, but kinda new and lack of tools for it)
- CodeBase (License around $500 one time fee - that acceptable)
- Firebird (New, lack of tools and seems a bit complex for my needs)

> "Louis Louw" <lo...@audiorealm.com> wrote in message
> > The price...
> > I'm developing a very low cost application with some basic database
> needs -
> > the MySQL price tag is just too much.

> If you use dbExpress[Plus], BDE, or ADO in your application, then your
> application isn't tied to MySQL, it just happens to use it. As long as you
> make the source code for MySQL available to your customers, you don't need
> to pay for a licence (MySQL on-line documentation, section 1.4.3.2, point
> 2).

> Cheers,
>   Ignacio

Re:Alternative SQL servers

Louis Louw wrote:
> The list of alternatives so far:
> - SQLite (Free, but kinda new and lack of tools for it)
> - CodeBase (License around $500 one time fee - that acceptable)
> - Firebird (New, lack of tools and seems a bit complex for my needs)

SQLite is an embedded SQL engine - if you ever need to turn your
application into client-server, then you'll need to switch to another
solution.

Firebird isn't exactly new. It's based on Interbase version 6.0 and
continues to be developed.

Sure you'll find more tools for MySQL or MSSQL, but you'll find *enough*
tools for Firebird to fill almost any need. As long as you're in the
Delphi / Borland environment you'll have no shortage of tools,
components, documentation and support for Firebird.

Firebird is also highly compliant with the SQL standard, no less than
any other database. Like any DB it has strengths and weaknesses, but
it's full featured and in some respects even more than the big and
expensive DBs.

You also mentioned a small install (but you forgot to mention modest
hardware requirements), both of which are Firebird strengths.

FB has an embedded version (eg. for stand-alone non-networked
applications), which is 100% compatible with the client-server version,
so you only need to develop once and your app can work either way.

Firebird is compatible and generally equivalent to Interbase, with the
exception that it's open source and free, while Interbase is a
commercial product with per-server or per-workstation licensing.

Whether you prefer a free/open-source or a commercial product is not
only a practical decisions (ie. money) but also a moral/philosophical one.

Take a look at the Interbase newsgroups here and at the Firebird
newsgroups (news.atkin.com) to get the feeling of the community that
provides help and support.

Anyway don't worry Firebird (and Interbase) are both good databases that
probably exceed your needs. One last advice: keep an open eye towards
PostgreSQL, as it seems in a few months it will have native Win32
version, so it may be another good candidate.

Eyal
Bikoret Bona Ltd.

Re:Alternative SQL servers

On Thu, 22 May 2003 14:45:46 +0200, Louis Louw <lo...@audiorealm.com>
wrote:

> Hi!

> I'm looking for an alternative database engine

> - SQL syntax must be very simular to MySQL
> - Install must be easy and less than 3MB (Automated install with zero
> hassles)
> - Must be able to handle threaded  connections

> Firebird is now top on my list, but syntax is a bit different than normal
> SQL? And I'm a bit scared that it wont be stable...
> different than normal SQL?

I thought Firebird was pretty close to standard SQL (but then standard
isn't always normal ...).

> stable...

I've used Firebird in production for some time (from version 0.9.5 on) on
WinNT4 and Win2k, and haven't seen any mishaps.  Fb/1.5 is just
ReleaseCandidate (RC2 or RC3) as of now, but RC1 seems to be running fine
on my PC.

--
Aage J.

Re:Alternative SQL servers

>I'm looking for an alternative database engine
>- SQL syntax must be very simular to MySQL
>- Install must be easy and less than 3MB (Automated install with zero
>hassles)
>- Must be able to handle threaded  connections

>Firebird is now top on my list, but syntax is a bit different than normal
>SQL? And I'm a bit scared that it wont be stable...

Well, if the "different than normal SQL" bothers you, then MySQL is
definitely out. There's no "real" or "proper" SQL - every vendor has a
few extra keywords here and there - it's just what you know that
becomes your "standard" and then anything else seems "different".

I'd definitely go with Firebird - it's full-fledged (more so than
MySQL), it's free, it's a real SQL database (not just a file-system
based table organizer, like CodeBase or such).

Marc

Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch

Re:Alternative SQL servers

Louis Louw wrote:
> Hi!

> I'm looking for an alternative database engine

> - SQL syntax must be very simular to MySQL
> - Install must be easy and less than 3MB (Automated install with zero
> hassles)
> - Must be able to handle threaded  connections

> Firebird is now top on my list, but syntax is a bit different than normal
> SQL? And I'm a bit scared that it wont be stable...

> Louis

I've seen lots of interesting info on databases, but I wil add one thing
about MySql.  Many, many inexpensive webhosts use LAMP: Linux, Apache, MySql,
and PHP.  If you are contemplating a web app, MySql is ready to roll on all
of them, including decent admin facilities.  PostgreSql can be found on some,
whereas any other DB will require intervention (and expense?) to get set up
for a web app.

Other Threads