Multiple connections on a Sybase SQL Server with only one login

I am using Delphi 2.0 Client/Server with the BDE 3.5 and the Sybase
CT-Lib native driver against a Sybase SQL Server 11 database engine.
When my application connects using a common TDataBase component on the
main form, and goes through that connection continually until
application termination, I see anywhere from 6 to 40 processes running
on the server with the same user's login name. I am using several
TTables and TQueries open at the same time, but I didn't think each
would make their own connection to the database. This is creating a
problem in that the NT Server that the Sybase database is running on
runs out of resources after about 4 people log into the application. The
BDE is set for SHARED AUTOCOMMIT and a TDS PACKET SIZE of 512 (I tried
4096 and had even worse results). Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Kevin Peterson -- frustrated Consultant

--

Re:Multiple connections on a Sybase SQL Server with only one login

It is a requirement of MSSQL that every connection is on a separate
connection. That said, there does seem to be a problem with TTables when
used against MSSQL. Connections which are no longer in use will be re-used
by the BDE. However, connections through TTables seem to 'hang around' long
after they have been closed. The page locks they hold also remain.

Basically, you are strongly advised to use only TQueries against MSSQL.

Dean
Information Dynamics
Leeds, England

Re:Multiple connections on a Sybase SQL Server with only one login

Uh! looks like I attached this reply to the wrong message, sorry *g*

Dean

Re:Multiple connections on a Sybase SQL Server with only one login

Have you got any solution to this problem?

If yes, could you please let me know ASAP. I am very interested in the
possibilities to avoid so many (needless) connections.

Thanks in advance.

Goran Dostanic
The Chief of the Software Department
Episteme