Problem with Memos - MS Access

I'am using Delphi 3 & MS Access 97 If I fill up a DBMEMO (attached to a
QUERY component that is
CACHEDUPDATE) to more than 300 chrs, I get 'External Exception EEFFACE'.
If the size of the memo is less than 300 chrs, it works fine.

Can somebody help with a solution to this ?

Thanks

Gopala Raghavan

Re:Problem with Memos - MS Access

I'm having the same problem.  I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Cathy

Gopala Raghavan <suk...@vsnl.com> wrote in message

> I'am using Delphi 3 & MS Access 97 If I fill up a DBMEMO (attached to a
> QUERY component that is
> CACHEDUPDATE) to more than 300 chrs, I get 'External Exception EEFFACE'.
> If the size of the memo is less than 300 chrs, it works fine.

> Can somebody help with a solution to this ?

> Thanks

> Gopala Raghavan

Re:Problem with Memos - MS Access

In article <88cfcp$k...@bornews.borland.com>, cbry...@artemisalliance.com
says...

>I'm having the same problem.  I hope someone can help.

>Thanks,

>Cathy

>Gopala Raghavan <suk...@vsnl.com> wrote in message
>> I'am using Delphi 3 & MS Access 97 If I fill up a DBMEMO (attached to a
>> QUERY component that is
>> CACHEDUPDATE) to more than 300 chrs, I get 'External Exception EEFFACE'.
>> If the size of the memo is less than 300 chrs, it works fine.

>> Can somebody help with a solution to this ?

>> Thanks

>> Gopala Raghavan

Out of curiousity, have either of you tried a newer version of Delphi, and
still getting this error?

fletch

Re:Problem with Memos - MS Access

Soluce TeamB & M$
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
j'ai aussi une solution du TeamB mais qui est peut lourde.

I got this tip from another user who was having the same problem

This is for anyone who gets an EEFFACE exception under NT 4 SP 4 or 5 when
accessing an MS Access memo or long binary field with the BDE 4.51 or 5.01.

The solution is to modify the registry.

1 go to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\Image file
execution options

2 Add a key for your application, f.i: myapp.exe

3 Add a value to the newly created key:

Value name: DisableHeapLookAside
Data type:    REG_SZ
String:          "1" (without quotes)

More info: MS Kb articles Q195008 and Q195009

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Infos M$
:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<
Application Access Violation or Hang After Applying SP4
ID: Q195009

-----

Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition version 4.0

----
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry.
Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if
a problem occurs. For information on how to do this, view the "Restoring the
Registry" online Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key"
online Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

SYMPTOMS
After applying Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 (SP4), you encounter lockups or
access violation (Dr. Watson) errors in an application that appeared to be
working fine previously.

NOTE: You might encounter other symptoms or errors in an application that
relate to the below-mentioned cause.

CAUSE
The application in question is errantly trying to access a block of memory
that it had previously freed or deallocated. With Windows NT 4.0 Service
Pack 3 (SP3) and earlier, such a reallocation is more likely to succeed,
since the same memory location is more likely to still be available for
reallocation. SP4, however, introduces a change in the heap manager
allocation patterns that can result in a failure of such a reallocation
request. For more information on this change, please see the following
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q195008 Heap Manager Change in Service Pack 4

RESOLUTION
To determine if the above-mentioned change is exposing a problem in the
application in question, proceed with the following steps. If these steps
result in the application generating fewer or no more such errors, contact
the vendor of the application to inquire about an updated version of the
application that resolves this problem.

NOTE: There are other conditions that can cause such errors or hangs that
are not related to this change introduced in SP4. If the following
workaround does not correct the problem, query on the error or condition you
are encountering and the application name in the Microsoft Knowledge Base
and/or check with your application vendor for more information on any other
known problems.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys And
Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete
Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in
Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.
If you are running Windows NT, you should also update your Emergency Repair
Disk (ERD).

Start Registry Editor (regedt32.exe) and navigate to the following registry
path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\Image File Execution Options

NOTE: The above registry key is one path; it has been wrapped for
readability.

With the Image File Execution Options key selected, click Add Key from the
Edit menu to create a new key using the name of the executable file that
starts the process that is encountering the above-noted problem. An example
Key Name entry is "Application.exe". You can leave the Class field blank.
This Key Name entry should not include a path, only the name of the
executable file itself. Refer to the already-existing Game.exe entry in this
location of the registry as an example.

Select the new key you created in step 2 above and click Add Value from the
Edit menu to create the Value Name: DisableHeapLookaside and Data Type:
REG_SZ. Click OK and then enter 1 in the String field.

Summary for the above entries:

Key Name: application.exe
Class:

Value Name: DisableHeapLookaside
Data Type: REG_SZ
String: 1

It is not usually necessary to restart the system to see the results. You
can usually simply restart the application because this registry value is
inspected during each process initialization. If the executable is a
service, however, restarting the computer may be necessary to cause the
executable to be properly restarted.

NOTE: This registry setting only affects the process or processes that you
specify.

Additional query words: 4.00 AV stack hang error bug

Keywords          :
Version           : winnt:4.0
Platform          : winnt
Issue type        : kbprb

Last Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Gopala Raghavan <suk...@vsnl.com> a crit dans le message :
38A69836.55C98...@vsnl.com...

> I'am using Delphi 3 & MS Access 97 If I fill up a DBMEMO (attached to a
> QUERY component that is
> CACHEDUPDATE) to more than 300 chrs, I get 'External Exception EEFFACE'.
> If the size of the memo is less than 300 chrs, it works fine.

> Can somebody help with a solution to this ?

> Thanks

> Gopala Raghavan

Other Threads