New database question

Hi,

I am about to embark on writing my first database type application in
Delphi and have a question or two:

when a user first installs the application there will not be an existing
database on his system. My guess is that I will have to create the
database in code, right?

I plan to use Paradox tables with the BDE. In the future it will be
necessary to access the database from another computer via a modem. Will
the use of Paradox/BDE prohibit this?  (I am using D1 desktop and D3
Professional)

Thanks,
--
Mike

NB - All opinions are my own, not necessarily that of my employer.

Re:New database question

Mike wrote:

> Hi,

> I am about to embark on writing my first database type application in
> Delphi and have a question or two:

> when a user first installs the application there will not be an existing
> database on his system. My guess is that I will have to create the
> database in code, right?

> I plan to use Paradox tables with the BDE. In the future it will be
> necessary to access the database from another computer via a modem. Will
> the use of Paradox/BDE prohibit this?  (I am using D1 desktop and D3
> Professional)

> Thanks,
> --
> Mike

> NB - All opinions are my own, not necessarily that of my employer.

I do it all the time. No problem. Just remember to assign a drive
letter to the remote machine then change the path
eg C:\Data 'local'
to F:\Data 'remote'
and try not to use the alias name
There are other ways but this is the easiest i've found.
Nick

Re:New database question

In article <90J$+HAC8IP1E...@d-m-g.demon.co.uk>, Mike <mike@d-m-
g.demon.co.uk> writes

>I am about to embark on writing my first database type application in
>Delphi and have a question or two:

>when a user first installs the application there will not be an existing
>database on his system. My guess is that I will have to create the
>database in code, right?

Why not include empty tables with your distribution?

Pat
--
Pat White
email: p...@pwhite.demon.co.uk

Re:New database question

Pat White schrieb:

> >when a user first installs the application there will not be an existing
> >database on his system. My guess is that I will have to create the
> >database in code, right?

> Why not include empty tables with your distribution?

Because it is not the neat thing to do.
1. Building the DB from code gives you more options concerning
'desaster-recovery' (-> What happens if the DB-files are deleted
sometime after installation. It's not so user friendly to have the user
run setup again)
2. I can also imagine that building from code prevents problems with
index files.
3. Building from code let's you (or your user) choose easily at runtime
which kind of db they would like to use. If You use SQL for creating the
DB, the whole range from dBase to an SQL-Server on the net should be
available

Stefan

Re:New database question

In article <6jjj2k$k0...@news01.btx.dtag.de>, someone calling themselves krone.neuenb...@t-online.de (Hotel Krone Neuenburg) wrote:

>Pat White schrieb:
>> Why not include empty tables with your distribution?
>Because it is not the neat thing to do.
>1. Building the DB from code gives you more options concerning
>'desaster-recovery' (-> What happens if the DB-files are deleted
>sometime after installation. It's not so user friendly to have the user
>run setup again)
>2. I can also imagine that building from code prevents problems with
>index files.
>3. Building from code let's you (or your user) choose easily at runtime
>which kind of db they would like to use. If You use SQL for creating the
>DB, the whole range from dBase to an SQL-Server on the net should be
>available

Another good reason is that, AFAIK, a setup program like installshield
would probably overwrite any existing tables if the user were to
install your program over the top of itself. Could someone confirm
that?

Mab

|~\  /~| /~~| |~|   The .sig wears a ring of polymorph! --More--
|  \/  |/ / |_| |__ The .login hits! The .cshrc bites!
|      ' /| |_| | / ________________________________________________
| |\/|  /\  | |  /  Official member of STI:
| |  |_/  \_| | /           The Search for Terrestrial Intelligence!
=\|===========|/==========- The Mabster:  mhamil...@bunge.com.au -==

Re:New database question

>>Because it is not the neat thing to do.
>>1. Building the DB from code gives you more options concerning
>>'desaster-recovery' (-> What happens if the DB-files are deleted
>>sometime after installation. It's not so user friendly to have the user
>>run setup again)
>>2. I can also imagine that building from code prevents problems with
>>index files.
>>3. Building from code let's you (or your user) choose easily at runtime
>>which kind of db they would like to use. If You use SQL for creating the
>>DB, the whole range from dBase to an SQL-Server on the net should be
>>available

>Another good reason is that, AFAIK, a setup program like installshield
>would probably overwrite any existing tables if the user were to
>install your program over the top of itself. Could someone confirm
>that?

Yes, this is true.

I always include a "custom" setup type that has the option of not
reinstalling the database tables. The intial Readme that InstallShield
can display informs the user of this.

--
Jeremy Collins
Kansai Business Systems

(return address not altered 'coz I get spammed *whatever* I do!)

Other Threads