Packing says Insufficient Diskspace

Hi,
I am attempting to pack a Paradox table that has a BLOB field.  In total
the files for the table take up 264 MB.  The last time I packed this table
it took a very long time, but worked.  Back then the tables files took up
247 MB.  Does anyone know how much free space is needed for this process?
I tried with 500 MB free but it gives the error message "Insufficient Disk
Space".  If the operation uses swap space then where is this "space"
expected to be (where the table is, where the app is etc..) ?
Unfortunately there is no information in the Borland Database engine
manual (I am packing from an application, but the Database Desktop gives
the same error if I try from there also).  I am using Delphi 1.0.  Any
insights/information would be most appreciated.

andrew
A.Sla...@pican.pi.csiro.au

Re:Packing says Insufficient Diskspace

In message <5kjs7e$...@hercules.its.csiro.au> - A.Sla...@pican.pi.csiro.au

(Andrew Slater) writes:

:>
:>Hi,
:>I am attempting to pack a Paradox table that has a BLOB field.  In total
:>the files for the table take up 264 MB.  The last time I packed this table
:>it took a very long time, but worked.  Back then the tables files took up
:>247 MB.  Does anyone know how much free space is needed for this process?
:>I tried with 500 MB free but it gives the error message "Insufficient Disk
:>Space".  If the operation uses swap space then where is this "space"
:>expected to be (where the table is, where the app is etc..) ?
:>Unfortunately there is no information in the Borland Database engine
:>manual (I am packing from an application, but the Database Desktop gives
:>the same error if I try from there also).  I am using Delphi 1.0.  Any
:>insights/information would be most appreciated.

My guess, based on similar computing operations, is that you need at least
twice the table size in free space. For 264Mb, you would require at least
528Mb.

+---------------------------
| Simon Thompson
| Christchurch
| New Zealand

Re:Packing says Insufficient Diskspace

I had the same problem when I was trying to create a primary index for a
1.1 Gb Paradox table.  It appears there is a limitation in the BDE of 512
Mb for temporary tables.  Maybe BDE 4.0 fixes this.

Anyway, back to your problem.  I tried everything.  Try setting the TMP and
TEMP DOS variables and the Session.PrivateDir variable.  I think one of
them controls where the BDE puts temporary tables.

However,  why don't you do this: open the original, use IndexDefs.update
and FieldDefs.update, close the table, change the TableName use
CreateTable.  Now cycle through all records and copy all fields (use
assign) in a loop.  It'll probably take 10 minutes to code - and there
aren't any special space limitations.  It might take a while to execute -
but you can give feedback easily.

Alternately, here's what I do (but it uses the BDE and you'll probably get
the "Insufficient Disk Space" message: DbiRegenIndexes(Table1.Handle); this
packs the table and regenerates all indices for it!

HTH,

--
Paul Motyer
Soft Stuff, Croydon, Australia, 3136

Andrew Slater <A.Sla...@pican.pi.csiro.au> wrote in article
<5kjs7e$...@hercules.its.csiro.au>...

> Hi,
> I am attempting to pack a Paradox table that has a BLOB field.  In total
> the files for the table take up 264 MB.  The last time I packed this
table
> it took a very long time, but worked.  Back then the tables files took up
> 247 MB.  Does anyone know how much free space is needed for this process?
> I tried with 500 MB free but it gives the error message "Insufficient
Disk
> Space".  If the operation uses swap space then where is this "space"
> expected to be (where the table is, where the app is etc..) ?
> Unfortunately there is no information in the Borland Database engine
> manual (I am packing from an application, but the Database Desktop gives
> the same error if I try from there also).  I am using Delphi 1.0.  Any
> insights/information would be most appreciated.

> andrew
> A.Sla...@pican.pi.csiro.au

Other Threads