Crystal5.0 VCL (PLEASE HELP: grown man crying....)

My Crystal problems never seem to end.

I develope on NT4.0
Everything works great.
When I run the app on Win95 everything works fine,
but if my app opens any tables (I'm using Pdox7 tbls)
and close the application, everything looks fine,
but then I get an illegal operation
dialog box telling me that

app.name "caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff858cd."

When I close the dialog box all seems fine.

If I run a report without any tables having been opened there is no
problem.
The problem happens on all Windows95 machines.
I am running BDE3.5 from borland.

I have tried:
        closing tables before exiting app.
        reformatting a win95 machine and trying from stratch.
        changing ALL system settings: video, printer, virtual mem, etc.

If I double the compiler stack sizes, the app still errors out but the
pointer is to idapi32.dll instead.

19 hours later and I'm spent  :-(

--

Thanx....................
Bir...@TelMarCorp.com

Re:Crystal5.0 VCL (PLEASE HELP: grown man crying....)

Birwin wrote:

> My Crystal problems never seem to end.

> I develope on NT4.0
> Everything works great.
> When I run the app on Win95 everything works fine,
> but if my app opens any tables (I'm using Pdox7 tbls)
> and close the application, everything looks fine,
> but then I get an illegal operation
> dialog box telling me that

> app.name "caused an invalid page fault in
> module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff858cd."

> When I close the dialog box all seems fine.

> If I run a report without any tables having been opened there is no
> problem.
> The problem happens on all Windows95 machines.
> I am running BDE3.5 from borland.

> I have tried:
>         closing tables before exiting app.
>         reformatting a win95 machine and trying from stratch.
>         changing ALL system settings: video, printer, virtual mem, etc.

> If I double the compiler stack sizes, the app still errors out but the
> pointer is to idapi32.dll instead.

> 19 hours later and I'm spent  :-(

This do most definitely sound like an uninitialized pointer/BDE handle.
I've had the *exact* same problem, and it turned out to be a proc
overwriting a few more bytes of a buffer than it should have done. This
didn't cause a GPF, as delphi allocates large chunks of mem and then
uses a private allocation scheme when the program uses new, or creates
an object.

Try running in/out of IDE both on NT and 95, and check for differences
in behaviour, as any such difference is yet another symptom of garbage
pointers.

The reason for the behaviour differences in 95 and NT is probably the
fact that NT zeroes all memory that you allocates, and thus initializes
all pointers/handles, whil win 95 leaves any garabage in memory as is.

Let me know what happens!

---
Erik Sperling Johansen
e...@info-pro.no

Birwin wrote:

> My Crystal problems never seem to end.

> I develope on NT4.0
> Everything works great.
> When I run the app on Win95 everything works fine,
> but if my app opens any tables (I'm using Pdox7 tbls)
> and close the application, everything looks fine,
> but then I get an illegal operation
> dialog box telling me that

> app.name "caused an invalid page fault in
> module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff858cd."

Not sure what your problem is but have you tried there tech support.
I've had good luck with them.

Bryan Whited <bryanwhi...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Birwin wrote:
>> app.name "caused an invalid page fault in
>> module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff858cd."

I've had this error on one machine, switched to another and had no problem.
Might be a conflict with another app.

Ken Moffat
kmof...@halcyon.com

Kenneth Moffat wrote:

> Bryan Whited <bryanwhi...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> >Birwin wrote:
> >> app.name "caused an invalid page fault in
> >> module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff858cd."

> I've had this error on one machine, switched to another and had no problem.
> Might be a conflict with another app.

> Ken Moffat
> kmof...@halcyon.com

I gotta ask, Are you running in anything other than plain vanilla VGA or
SVGA mode (16/256 colors)?  If you are, you *may* be the victim of a
conflict between Crystal Reports and the video driver for your video
card.  All you can do if this is the case is let Seagate know of the
problem with CR and your video card and then reinstall the VGA/SVGA
vanilla driver on your system.  Seagate *will* eventually get a bug
patch out to allow CR to run under the driver.  What really bugs me
about this is that Piparti, QuickReports, ReportSmith and other
reporters have NO problem with these video drivers!

Derek

Bryan Whited wrote:

> Birwin wrote:

> > My Crystal problems never seem to end.

> > I develope on NT4.0
> > Everything works great.
> > When I run the app on Win95 everything works fine,
> > but if my app opens any tables (I'm using Pdox7 tbls)
> > and close the application, everything looks fine,
> > but then I get an illegal operation
> > dialog box telling me that

> > app.name "caused an invalid page fault in
> > module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff858cd."

> Not sure what your problem is but have you tried there tech support.
> I've had good luck with them.

I've that problem too! And I have the solution! The Problem is the
version of the 32bit BDE Engine. The Crystal 5.0 must use the BDE, which
was shipped with Crystal 5.0. If You are using another version like the
new 3.5 you get an error in the Kernel.dll.

Please try it and send me the result via mail: GFI-Nordh...@T-online.de.

Michael

Other Threads