FLI/FLC Player in TP7.0

Hi

I have written a flc/fli player in tp7.0, and was wondering if there is
anyone that has written one as well, as mine is sooo slow. I am looking for
one that can maybe display the flic in 640x40x256 (if that is
possible??!?!?), please no assembler!

thanks again

--
Duncan Promnitz
greg...@global.co.za

Re:FLI/FLC Player in TP7.0

"gregpro" <greg...@global.co.za> wrote:
>Hi
>I have written a flc/fli player in tp7.0, and was wondering if there is
>anyone that has written one as well, as mine is sooo slow. I am looking for
>one that can maybe display the flic in 640x40x256 (if that is
>possible??!?!?), please no assembler!

You might get it to run reasnobly on a top spec machine with some
pretty darned optamised code, but really, you will need to use
embedded assembler.  I'm in the process of writing one with TP7 - if
you want, I could notify you when I've finished it.

ps.  excuse me ignorance, but where is za?

MdP

--
History doesn't repeat itself --- historians merely repeat each other - Hegel.

HomePage:  http://ds.dial.pipex.com/matt.parkins/
E-mail:    matt.park...@dial.pipex.com

Re:FLI/FLC Player in TP7.0

Matthew Parkins wrote:
> [...]

> ps.  excuse me ignorance, but where is za?

Getting a bit off-topic for the group, but I believe it's South Africa
(Zud Afrika, or similar spelling).

> MdP

> --
> History doesn't repeat itself --- historians merely repeat each other - Hegel.

> HomePage:  http://ds.dial.pipex.com/matt.parkins/
> E-mail:    matt.park...@dial.pipex.com

set...@ix.netcom.com | scheduled chaos and mayhem. . . .  |

Re:FLI/FLC Player in TP7.0

Matthew Parkins <matt.park...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> "gregpro" <greg...@global.co.za> wrote:

> >Hi

> >I have written a flc/fli player in tp7.0, and was wondering if there is
> >anyone that has written one as well, as mine is sooo slow. I am looking for
> >one that can maybe display the flic in 640x40x256 (if that is
> >possible??!?!?), please no assembler!

I wrote one, but it uses asm - there's almost *no* way
that you'll get one fast enough without it (except maybe on a P200!)
displaying in 640x40x256 is nigh on impossible, but in 640x480x256,
you'll porbably have to s=use some kind of bank switching (using
'standard' VESA would be best), but you'll definately have to use asm.

Check out my www page for a link the the pcgpe which explains all of
the above.

home.clara.net/tickle

- go to 'Programmers Resources', 'Software', PCGPE

btw: the rest of the site is in production

See ya, David

--
.-----------------.---------------------------.
| David Singleton | david<at>tickle.clara.net |

Re:FLI/FLC Player in TP7.0

David Singleton wrote:
> > >I have written a flc/fli player in tp7.0, and was wondering if there is
> > >anyone that has written one as well, as mine is sooo slow. I am looking for
> > >one that can maybe display the flic in 640x40x256 (if that is
> > >possible??!?!?), please no assembler!

> I wrote one, but it uses asm - there's almost *no* way
> that you'll get one fast enough without it (except maybe on a P200!)

This is lies! As you well know, {*word*76}y fast FLI players have been
written in C++ (Hugh Denman, take a bow) without any ASM. And boy, was
it fast - even on 486s!

> displaying in 640x40x256 is nigh on impossible, but in 640x480x256,
> you'll porbably have to s=use some kind of bank switching (using
> 'standard' VESA would be best), but you'll definately have to use asm.

That depends. You can't display FLIs on SVGA because they are stuck in
320x200 mode, (I know that FLCs are different but nobody really uses
them anyway), but you could easily display a FLI in a corner of the
screen, or in a 'window'. But it is true that 640x40x256 is pretty
impossible - still, it would be interesting to see it!

> Check out my www page for a link the the pcgpe which explains all of
> the above.

> home.clara.net/tickle

> - go to 'Programmers Resources', 'Software', PCGPE

Ever the plug! Sigh.

> btw: the rest of the site is in production

I'll say!

Ciao,
Robert
--
.------------------------------------------------------------------------.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| http://www.iol.ie/~robertf .... http://kola.dcu.ie/mlstrm ....

'------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Re:FLI/FLC Player in TP7.0

Robert Fahey <robe...@iol.ie> wrote:

Hi Robert! Nice to see you *still* attempting to flame the hell out of
me...

> David Singleton wrote: > > > > >I have written a flc/fli player in tp7.0,

and was wondering if there is > > > >anyone that has written one as
well, as mine is sooo slow. I am looking for > > > >one that can maybe
display the flic in 640x40x256 (if that is > > > >possible??!?!?),
please no assembler! > > > > > I wrote one, but it uses asm - there's
almost *no* way > > that you'll get one fast enough without it (except
maybe on a P200!) > This is lies! As you well know, {*word*76}y fast FLI
players have been > written in C++ (Hugh Denman, take a bow) without any
ASM. And boy, was > it fast - even on 486s!

You talk {*word*99}. We are talking about Pascal here
1) Hugh's was written in Pascal (I have the source code - remember, it
was supposed to be integrated into Solarist!)
2) It also used more asm than you could shake a blind man's stick at.

I reaffirm, unless you are using a dead-fast computer, playing flis
without asm is inpractical

> > > displaying in 640x40x256 is nigh on impossible, but in 640x480x256, >
> you'll porbably have to s=use some kind of bank switching (using > >
>'standard' VESA would be best), but you'll definately have to use asm.
>That depends. You can't display FLIs on SVGA because they are stuck in
>320x200 mode, (I know that FLCs are different but nobody really uses >
>them anyway), but you could easily display a FLI in a corner of the >
>screen, or in a 'window'. But it is true that 640x40x256 is pretty >
>impossible - still, it would be interesting to see it!

Not true!  If you've ever made a decent animation in 3D Studio, it will
be saved as an *FLC* (which was what I was talking about in the 1st
place).

Displaying an fli in the corner of the screen in 640x480 would be easy -
as you correctly pointed out, but it would be a *complete* waste of
time.  AFAIK, the poster wanted to play them *full* screen.

> > the above. > > > > home.clara.net/tickle > > > > - go to 'Programmers

Resources', 'Software', PCGPE
> Ever the plug! Sigh.

You're one to talk!

well, look at it now.

[btw: to other readers, I know Robert, this is *not* a flame]
--
| David Singleton | david<at>tickle.clara.net |

Other Threads