Board index » delphi » Migrating MS/Sql 6.5 to SqL 7.

Migrating MS/Sql 6.5 to SqL 7.

Friends,

I have existing Delphi 5e app using BDE 5.1 and MS/SQL 6.5. I am about to
replace SQL6.5 with SQL7. I plan to leave the Delphi app as is and just
replace SQL database at the server side. Will the existing Delphi 5 BDE5.1
continue to work with SQL 7.

The reason  I am doing this is for smooth transition one step at a time.
Later on, I will convert all existing App from BDE to ADO.

Thanks for your help,

Toan

 

Re:Migrating MS/Sql 6.5 to SqL 7.


Quote
> The reason  I am doing this is for smooth transition one step at a time.
> Later on, I will convert all existing App from BDE to ADO.

Seems the trendy thing to do, but if you have sound technical reasons for
the conversion, it would be better to convert sooner rather than later, as
you will need to QA a lot of code after conversion...

Simple examples..

BDE:  TQuery.ParamByName('@CustomerID').AsInteger := 123;
ADO: TADOQuery.Parameters.ParamByName('CustomerID').Value := 123;

BDE: TQuery.RequestLive := True;
ADO: TADOQuery.CursorType := ctKeyset;

Re:Migrating MS/Sql 6.5 to SqL 7.


I don't recall any problems moving from 6.5 to 7. Server administration
is rather different, but that's not an application issue.

Kevin

Quote
Toan N wrote:

> Friends,

> I have existing Delphi 5e app using BDE 5.1 and MS/SQL 6.5. I am about to
> replace SQL6.5 with SQL7. I plan to leave the Delphi app as is and just
> replace SQL database at the server side. Will the existing Delphi 5 BDE5.1
> continue to work with SQL 7.

> The reason  I am doing this is for smooth transition one step at a time.
> Later on, I will convert all existing App from BDE to ADO.

> Thanks for your help,

> Toan

Re:Migrating MS/Sql 6.5 to SqL 7.


Hmmm.. why not inherit from TADODataset and introduce "wrappers" for the
properties mentioned below?
That should help shorten the transition.

Mio Nino P. Marquez

Quote
"Laurie" <l...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:39a0ece5_2@dnews...

> > The reason  I am doing this is for smooth transition one step at a time.
> > Later on, I will convert all existing App from BDE to ADO.

> Seems the trendy thing to do, but if you have sound technical reasons for
> the conversion, it would be better to convert sooner rather than later, as
> you will need to QA a lot of code after conversion...

> Simple examples..

> BDE:  TQuery.ParamByName('@CustomerID').AsInteger := 123;
> ADO: TADOQuery.Parameters.ParamByName('CustomerID').Value := 123;

> BDE: TQuery.RequestLive := True;
> ADO: TADOQuery.CursorType := ctKeyset;

Other Threads