Progress and ODBC Drivers with Delphi

To All:

Is anyone aware of any *working* drivers for Progress (7.3 or 8.x) and
Windows 95 - 16 or 32 bit? If so please email me with details...

We tried the original Progress ODBC drivers and they were not reliable.
Eigh{*word*249} months after we started this project we now have the Intersolv
16 bit drivers which do NOT seem to work with Delphi 1.0. (or Delphi
2.0)

We would dearly love to have real time integration with the Progress
back end - but ....

We have a Finite Scheduler and a Shop Floor data collection system
written in both Delphi 1.0 and 2.0. We would like to provide the same
level of integration with Progress as we can with other data server
systems.

The best we have been able to do is get the Borland Database Desktop
(2.52) 16 bit version to do queries. When we write code and do the usual
stuff to connect in the ODBC driver, we cannot even connect to the
Progress Server. The OID does not even load. The problem *apparently* is
caused by the single connection allowed by the driver. It seems Delphi
requires multiple connections - so the driver doesn't work...

--
Regards,
Dave Robinson, VP Development

WEBB page: http://mindlink.net/amber_computer/
ASAP-RTS Manufacturing Scheduling and shop floor data collection with
bar coding, and product tagging.
Databases from directories - an OCR and Scanning system to create
marketing databases from directories.

Re:Progress and ODBC Drivers with Delphi

Dave Robinson wrote:

> To All:

> Is anyone aware of any *working* drivers for Progress (7.3 or 8.x) and
> Windows 95 - 16 or 32 bit? If so please email me with details...

> We tried the original Progress ODBC drivers and they were not reliable.
> Eigh{*word*249} months after we started this project we now have the Intersolv
> 16 bit drivers which do NOT seem to work with Delphi 1.0. (or Delphi
> 2.0)

> We would dearly love to have real time integration with the Progress
> back end - but ....

> We have a Finite Scheduler and a Shop Floor data collection system
> written in both Delphi 1.0 and 2.0. We would like to provide the same
> level of integration with Progress as we can with other data server
> systems.

> The best we have been able to do is get the Borland Database Desktop
> (2.52) 16 bit version to do queries. When we write code and do the usual
> stuff to connect in the ODBC driver, we cannot even connect to the
> Progress Server. The OID does not even load. The problem *apparently* is
> caused by the single connection allowed by the driver. It seems Delphi
> requires multiple connections - so the driver doesn't work...

> --
> Regards,
> Dave Robinson, VP Development
> Amber Computer Systems Inc.
> Surrey, BC, Canada

> WEBB page: http://mindlink.net/amber_computer/
> ASAP-RTS Manufacturing Scheduling and shop floor data collection with
> bar coding, and product tagging.
> Databases from directories - an OCR and Scanning system to create
> marketing databases from directories.

I've been using Delphi 1 and Progress for over 1 year.
Version 7.3 of Progress on SCO UNIX and HP-UX.
Windows client version 8 with database driver.
The dual instantion of the progress client is not a problem.
I have run into a situation, however, where the second instance cannot
start (get GPF on WOIDRVR). Don't know if this is a BDE bug or Windows
resource limitation.
Workaround: After connecting to Progress, I do a dummy query (non-table,
no-data) simply to instantiate the the second connection.
Other than that (and a myriad of early configuration issues), it seems
to function.

I have just downloaded the Intersolv driver, and will be testing next
week.

Regards,
Chuck Salvo

Re:Progress and ODBC Drivers with Delphi

We do an ODBC driver for Progress 7.3 which will link Windows apps to
various Unix platforms called SQL-Retriever.  Take a look at
http://www.vision.sco.com/brochure/sqlretriever/

Allan Gould
SCO

In article <32A8353E.7...@aksi.net>, "Charles J. Salvo" <chu...@aksi.net> wrote:

>Dave Robinson wrote:

>> To All:

>> Is anyone aware of any *working* drivers for Progress (7.3 or 8.x) and
>> Windows 95 - 16 or 32 bit? If so please email me with details...

>> We tried the original Progress ODBC drivers and they were not reliable.
>> Eigh{*word*249} months after we started this project we now have the Intersolv
>> 16 bit drivers which do NOT seem to work with Delphi 1.0. (or Delphi
>> 2.0)

We came to the same conclusion. Delphi 2.0 with 32 bit Intersolv ODBC

>> We would dearly love to have real time integration with the Progress
>> back end - but ....

So do we.

>> The problem *apparently* is
>> caused by the single connection allowed by the driver. It seems Delphi
>> requires multiple connections - so the driver doesn't work...

Is there more info abut this available ??

>I've been using Delphi 1 and Progress for over 1 year.

No option. We need 32 bits for speed.

R.E. den Braasem (aka The Graphical Gnome)
(r...@ktibv.nl)

Senior Software Engineer

Re:Progress and ODBC Drivers with Delphi

Hi Dave,

To cut a long story short, OpenLink Software provides the fastest and most
sophisticated and certainly most Progress centric ODBC Drivers on the
planet !

1. Array support
2. Multiple Concurrent Progress Distributed Database Support via Single
ODBC Data Source
3. Blistering Performance
4. Available in 32 Bit & 16 Bit Mode

Visit : http://www.openlinksw.com

To download these Drivers.

Enjoy !
--
Best Regards,
Kingsley Idehen

Dave Robinson <Amber_compu...@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote in article
<32A6E69E.4...@mindlink.bc.ca>...

> To All:

> Is anyone aware of any *working* drivers for Progress (7.3 or 8.x) and
> Windows 95 - 16 or 32 bit? If so please email me with details...

> We tried the original Progress ODBC drivers and they were not reliable.
> Eigh{*word*249} months after we started this project we now have the Intersolv
> 16 bit drivers which do NOT seem to work with Delphi 1.0. (or Delphi
> 2.0)

> We would dearly love to have real time integration with the Progress
> back end - but ....

> We have a Finite Scheduler and a Shop Floor data collection system
> written in both Delphi 1.0 and 2.0. We would like to provide the same
> level of integration with Progress as we can with other data server
> systems.

> The best we have been able to do is get the Borland Database Desktop
> (2.52) 16 bit version to do queries. When we write code and do the usual
> stuff to connect in the ODBC driver, we cannot even connect to the
> Progress Server. The OID does not even load. The problem *apparently* is
> caused by the single connection allowed by the driver. It seems Delphi
> requires multiple connections - so the driver doesn't work...

> --
> Regards,
> Dave Robinson, VP Development
> Amber Computer Systems Inc.
> Surrey, BC, Canada

> WEBB page: http://mindlink.net/amber_computer/
> ASAP-RTS Manufacturing Scheduling and shop floor data collection with
> bar coding, and product tagging.
> Databases from directories - an OCR and Scanning system to create
> marketing databases from directories.

Other Threads