Losing Paradox Records

I hope someone can help - I am using Delphi 1 with Paradox 5 tables and have
suddenly started randomly losing records in one of our tables. There has
been no change to the code and no error message is displayed. As each record
is appended, it appears fine, but a short while later it disappears from the
table. There is a single unique key, which is generated by taking the number
from the last record in the table. There are about 50000 records in the
table, and there are 4 or 5 simultaneous data capturers. With a single user
capturing, there is no problem, but within a few minutes of multiple users
processing, records start going missing. All utilities show that the table
is not corrupt (using tutility), and restoring a known good backup from a
few weeks ago produces the same problems as users start capturing. The
pdoxusrs.net file seems to have some affect, in that if deleted, records can
be captured successfully for a short while therafter. If anyone has
experienced similar problems, please let me know - thanks very much - Simon
Welsh.

Re:Losing Paradox Records

What kind of network are you on?  If it is a peer-to-peer network make sure
you have the BDE configured as described in TI2989 at
www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list.

Getting a number from the last record and incrementing it for a primary key
is not safe in a multiuser environment.  Two users could easily get the same
number.

--
Bill Todd

Re:Losing Paradox Records

Hi

Make LocalShare = True (BDE Admin).

--
Elio Medeiros
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Re:Losing Paradox Records

Hi Simon,
  Try setting the Local Share parameter in the BDE config utility to false.

Eyal.

Re:Losing Paradox Records

This is very basic, but do double check that the path structure of  NETFILEDIR
setting
looks the same for *all the users*.
The path structure should be looking for example G:\DATADIR for everybody, not
for
example G:\SUBDIR\DATADIR to some users. Netfiledir also can not be just the
drive
letter, pointing to root, G:\.

Markku Nevalainen

Simon Welsh wrote:
> I hope someone can help - I am using Delphi 1 with Paradox 5 tables and have
> suddenly started randomly losing records in one of our tables. There has
> been no change to the code and no error message is displayed. As each record
> is appended, it appears fine, but a short while later it disappears from the
> table. There is a single unique key, which is generated by taking the number
> from the last record in the table. There are about 50000 records in the
> table, and there are 4 or 5 simultaneous data capturers. With a single user
> capturing, there is no problem, but within a few minutes of multiple users
> processing, records start going missing. All utilities show that the table
> is not corrupt (using tutility), and restoring a known good backup from a
> few weeks ago produces the same problems as users start capturing. The
> pdoxusrs.net file seems to have some affect, in that if deleted, records can
> be captured successfully for a short while therafter. If anyone has
> experienced similar problems, please let me know - thanks very much - Simon
> Welsh.

Other Threads