Quickreports vs Crystal Reports

Can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of using Delphi's
Quickreports vs. Crystal Reports. Do Quickreports run faster within Delphi
applications? Some say Crystal Reports is nice because the clients can
create and run their own reports - yet some other smaller applications we
only need standard design time reports. Would Quickreports work better for
the smaller applications?

thanks

Re:Quickreports vs Crystal Reports

I guess for me it would really depend on what you're doing.  We have QR used
in a couple of applications, & I'm ready to rip it out as it's buggy as all
get out.  One time you run it & everything is fine, the next time you
compile the app with a change, all the formatting is lost.  Drives me nuts.
It's okay, I guess, if you just want a quick & dirty & don't want to deploy
a bunch of DLLs on the user's machine.  A lot of folks use Ace Reporter as a
replacement for Quick Reports & like it a lot.  You may want to investigate
that.

I've used Crystal Reports since it was Quik Reports 'way back when.  I love
it.  It has a lot of widgets & takes a little time to learn, I'm told.  I
guess that's true - I've been using it long enough that the learning curve
is no longer an issue, so I can't really speak well to that.

It has a lot of horsepower, and along with that comes a lot of overhead; so
if you want something quick & easy, Crystal is not your best choice - but I
sure do like it for industrial strength stuff it has!

Cheers,
Cyd

Cyd Lantz wrote:
> I guess for me it would really depend on what you're doing.  We have
> QR used
> in a couple of applications, & I'm ready to rip it out as it's buggy
> as all
> get out.  One time you run it & everything is fine, the next time you
> compile the app with a change, all the formatting is lost.  Drives me
> nuts.
> It's okay, I guess, if you just want a quick & dirty & don't want to
> deploy
> a bunch of DLLs on the user's machine.  A lot of folks use Ace
> Reporter as a
> replacement for Quick Reports & like it a lot.  You may want to
> investigate
> that.

> I've used Crystal Reports since it was Quik Reports 'way back when.  I
> love
> it.  It has a lot of widgets & takes a little time to learn, I'm
> told.  I
> guess that's true - I've been using it long enough that the learning
> curve
> is no longer an issue, so I can't really speak well to that.

> It has a lot of horsepower, and along with that comes a lot of
> overhead; so
> if you want something quick & easy, Crystal is not your best choice -
> but I
> sure do like it for industrial strength stuff it has!

> Cheers,
> Cyd

> Nancy wrote in message <76b4ot$p...@forums.borland.com>...
> >Can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of using Delphi's
> >Quickreports vs. Crystal Reports. Do Quickreports run faster within
> Delphi
> >applications? Some say Crystal Reports is nice because the clients
> can
> >create and run their own reports - yet some other smaller
> applications we
> >only need standard design time reports. Would Quickreports work
> better for
> >the smaller applications?

> >thanks

        Hello , Cyd Lantz

        I'm a beginner in crystal report , could you post , some
examples showing how to call it in delphi code ?

Re:Quickreports vs Crystal Reports

Nancy,

> Can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of using Delphi's
> Quickreports vs. Crystal Reports. Do Quickreports run faster within Delphi
> applications? Some say Crystal Reports is nice because the clients can
> create and run their own reports - yet some other smaller applications we
> only need standard design time reports. Would Quickreports work better for
> the smaller applications?

If you are looking for a professional reporting solution that has the
power of Crystal, but is 100% native Delphi, download a trial version of
ReportBuilder Pro.

With ReportBuilder Pro you can easily create professional end-user
reporting solutions as well.

R E P O R T B U I L D E R   W E B  L I N K S

You can download a trial version from:

http://digital-metaphors.com/prodprobeta.html

Ordering info is available at

https://secure.unicomp.net/digital-metaphors/

With the trial version you can create reports just as you would with the
registered version, the only limitations are max of 5 pages of output
for any report and if you print to the printer, our company info will
print on the page also.

For a quick look at what ReportBuilder is capable of run the demos:

1. RBuilder Pro\Demos\Reports\Demo.dpr - contains over 70 sample reports
that show the various cabalities of the product. Serves as a great
learning tool also.

2. RBuilder Pro\Demos\EndUser\EndUser.dpr - contains a complete,
professional end-user reporting solution built using our End-User
Reporting Framework.

R E P O R T B U I L D E R   F E A T U R E S

ReportBuilder Features
---------------
Report Designer                 Full-featured, Office97 compliant

OnePass/TwoPass Report Engine   Instant page generation,
                                incremental caching

Text, Line & Shape Components   Work just like Delphi counterparts

Image Components                Bitmaps and WMFs supported

Rich Text Components            Stretches across pages, great for
                                mail-merge

Memo Components                 Stretches across pages

BarCode Components              Code 128, UPC-A, Code39,
                                Int2of5, EAN-13

SubReports                      Free-form, side-by-side, nested,
                                drill-down

Extensible Components           Create either static or
                                stretchable descendants

Columnar Reports                Spreadsheet-style reports and
                                mailing labels

Full Printer Control            Envelopes, custom-paper sizes,
                                duplex printing

Templates (Report Layouts)      Save report definitions in
                                database fields or files, deploy
                                new reports without recompiling

Precision                       Position components up to 1/1000
                                of a millimeter

International Language Support  11 languages, *all* strings and
                                messages translated

Archive (Native Report Output)  Print reports to stand-alone
                                files, preview later

Text File Output                Comma, tab and fixed length
                                formats supported

Open Data Output                Create support for new file
                                formats

Native Data Access (via BDE)    Access data via Delphi DataSources

Native Text File Access         Access text files directly,
                                compile w/out BDE

Open Data Access                Create your own data access,
                                compile w/out BDE

ActiveX Archive Print Preview   Preview archived reports in an
                                HTML Browser

ReportBuilder Pro Features
--------------------
Everything in ReportBuilder plus:

End-User Report Designer        Deploy an interface your users
                                already know

End-User Reporting Framework    Allow end-users to manage
                                reports and data

Report Wizard                   Create new reports with a few
                                clicks of the mouse

Query Wizard                    Create new data with a few
                                clicks of the mouse

Good luck!

--
Nard Moseley            mailto:n...@digital-metaphors.com