Please help with a TSR that emulates a 0moden-cabel

Hi all outthere
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I really need your help. I've got a parallel-cabel to communicate with my
laptop. But if I wanna play a game like Duke3D or something else, it
wants to have a serial-cabel... The parallel-cabel is 8 times faster than
the serial one and i wanted to code a prog that can emulate a serial
cabel by using a parallel one... can u please help me?? I'm not always on
UseNet, so please send your answers to mr.pi...@uni-muenster.de!
thanx.... -Arne Voigtlaender (PiXEL)

--

------------------------
Arne Voiglaender (PiXEL)

Re:Please help with a TSR that emulates a 0moden-cabel

In article <31640C06.1...@uni-muenster.de> mr.pi...@uni-muenster.de writes:
>Hi all outthere
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>I really need your help. I've got a parallel-cabel to communicate with my
>laptop. But if I wanna play a game like Duke3D or something else, it
>wants to have a serial-cabel... The parallel-cabel is 8 times faster than
>the serial one and i wanted to code a prog that can emulate a serial
>cabel by using a parallel one... can u please help me?? I'm not always on
>UseNet, so please send your answers to mr.pi...@uni-muenster.de!
>thanx.... -Arne Voigtlaender (PiXEL)

You are going to have problems with wiring -- with how the signals are
actually transmitted down the line -- that will preclude such a thing from
working.

The programmers of Duke3D would need to reprogram their game so that it would
open and use the parallel-port as it currently opens and uses the serial-port.
Since they have probably tied into the serial-port using custom,
high-performance code (games usually do), it is not likely that you will be
able to successfully intercept it and "fool the program."

Re:Please help with a TSR that emulates a 0moden-cabel

In article <31640C06.1...@uni-muenster.de>, From
mr.pi...@uni-muenster.de, the following was written:

> I really need your help. I've got a parallel-cabel to communicate with
> my laptop. But if I wanna play a game like Duke3D or something else,
> it wants to have a serial-cabel... The parallel-cabel is 8 times
> faster than the serial one and i wanted to code a prog that can
> emulate a serial cabel by using a parallel one...

That wouldn't work. Duke3D asks for the base adress of the UART, that
means it accesses the serial interface directly via IN / OUT assembler
(processor) instructions. Maybe some programs use software interrupts
or device drivers for serial i/o (that you could hook), but games like
Duke Nukem would never do this (too slow), I suppose.

   Basti

       Bastisoft      101674.2...@compuserve.com

       Fleestedt, Germany

On 7 Apr 1996, Sebastian Koppehel wrote:

> In article <31640C06.1...@uni-muenster.de>, From
> mr.pi...@uni-muenster.de, the following was written:

> > I really need your help. I've got a parallel-cabel to communicate with

> > my laptop. But if I wanna play a game like Duke3D or something else,
> > it wants to have a serial-cabel... The parallel-cabel is 8 times
> > faster than the serial one and i wanted to code a prog that can
> > emulate a serial cabel by using a parallel one...
> That wouldn't work. Duke3D asks for the base adress of the UART, that
> means it accesses the serial interface directly via IN / OUT assembler
> (processor) instructions. Maybe some programs use software interrupts
> or device drivers for serial i/o (that you could hook), but games like
> Duke Nukem would never do this (too slow), I suppose.

If you find Duke Nukem3D too slow on a serial port, then chances are you
might want a faster computer.   I don't know what speek Duke3D uses, but
the serial ports can go to 115,200 bps, and I don't know any game that
might seem slow at that speed.   If it can support it, I would think a
network game might be faster then.

Other Threads