You say Del-FY, I say DEL-fi

In my ignorance, I hadn't realised that there are two separate products
being discussed in this newsgroup.  Apparantly people with a country
code (like '.uk') at the end of their net addresses have been discussing
a product called DEL-fih (accent on first syllable; the 'i' in 'fih'
pronounced like the first 'i' in 'biscuit'); whereas people missing the
country bit at the end of their net addresses have been discussing a
rival product called del-FY (accent on second syllable; 'FY' rhymes with
'fly').

Is this correct?  Which product is available in your country?

John

+---------------------+------------------------------------------------------+
 John P.McCreesh      |  Internet: jpmccre...@pines.demon.co.uk
 Forbo-Lancaster Ltd. |  X.400:    c=GB,a=CWMAIL,p=FORBO,g=John,s=McCreesh
 Lancaster, England   |  Voice:    +44 (0) 1524 65222  Fax: +44 (0) 1524 61638

Re:You say Del-FY, I say DEL-fi

"John P.McCreesh" <jpmccre...@pines.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In my ignorance, I hadn't realised that there are two separate products
>being discussed in this newsgroup.  Apparantly people with a country
>code (like '.uk') at the end of their net addresses have been discussing
>a product called DEL-fih (accent on first syllable; the 'i' in 'fih'
>pronounced like the first 'i' in 'biscuit'); whereas people missing the
>country bit at the end of their net addresses have been discussing a
>rival product called del-FY (accent on second syllable; 'FY' rhymes with
>'fly').

I guess I must be wierd, then; I've always pronounced it DEL-fy, since
that's the way I originally encountered the name (a la the oracle at
Delphi). However, I have also heard other people refer to it as
DEL-fee. You pays your money, and you takes your frame of reference.

--
Sean R. Malloy               | American Non Sequitur
    Naval Medical Center     |       Society

Re:You say Del-FY, I say DEL-fi

In article <43tmup$...@warp.cris.com>, mal...@cris.com (Sean Malloy) wrote:

>I guess I must be wierd, then; I've always pronounced it DEL-fy, since
>that's the way I originally encountered the name (a la the oracle at
>Delphi). However, I have also heard other people refer to it as
>DEL-fee. You pays your money, and you takes your frame of reference.

The Oracle at Delf-ee, ask any good Greek, [Gr.Delphikos] as in Delphinium and
Philidelphia. But say Delf-eye if thats your bag.

delphic - like an oracle, esp if ambiguous or difficult to interpret. <G>

Re:You say Del-FY, I say DEL-fi

All of this goes back to the fact that there are two conventional ways
of pronouncing Latin words in English context.  ("Delphi" is a Latinized
form of a Greek name.)

Where the Latin has a long (Latin) I, you can either pronounce it "ee"
(as did the Romans) or "eye" (following the English convention).

--
Michael A. Covington                http://www.ai.uga.edu/faculty/covington/
Artificial Intelligence Center                                           <><

Other Threads