D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives

Hi Friends,

D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives.

Thanks for your time,
Michael

Re:D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives

What do you mean by "does not see the network". We need a much more detailed
explanation of what you are doing and what does not work including software
versions and any error messages that are displayed.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives

Hi Bill & Team B,

Here are the specs:

D5 Professional Build 6.18 Update Pack 1
Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 6

When I try to set up and alias in the BDE to my PARADOX tables on the
network, the BDE does not see anything beyond my PC local drives.

Please let me know if you want more clarification and thanks for your help.
-Michael
Bill Todd (TeamB) <b...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> What do you mean by "does not see the network". We need a much more
detailed
> explanation of what you are doing and what does not work including
software
> versions and any error messages that are displayed.

> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)
> (Questions received via email cannot be answered.)

Re:D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives

I still do not understand what you mean by "does not see". If the tables are
on a network drive just enter the path using a mapped drive letter or enter
a UNC path in your alias definition.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:27:45 -0400, "Michael Cloud"

<michael_cl...@creoscitex.com> wrote:
>When I try to set up and alias in the BDE to my PARADOX tables on the
>network, the BDE does not see anything beyond my PC local drives.

Some things I have seen in other applications which might help you here...
Bring-up the browse window,  and wait about 30-60 seconds before hitting
the drop-down for the drive selection.  I have seen that some applications
take longer to identify all the "remote drives" and until that has
completed,  you can only select a "local drive".  I do not know if the BDE
is one of those applications,  but I suspect that to be the case.

One way to tell is if the drive volume label shows in the windows,  or if
only the drive letter shows.  If both show,  you will probably be able to
see network attached drives as well as local drives.  If the label does not
show,  then you can probably only see "local" drives...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives

Hi Bill, Jerry

Thanks for your help. The [BROWSE] button does not bring up the network
drives/Does the Network Neighborhood come up in the BDE ever? Does it have
to be a mapped drive?
 When I enter a UNC path in the Alias definition, most browse dialogs start
the browse from there. Does the BDE [BROWSE] button usually do this?
My BDE version is 5.01. I tried leaving the dialog up for a while and the
network drives still do not come up.

> I still do not understand what you mean by "does not see". If the tables
are
> on a network drive just enter the path using a mapped drive letter or
enter
> a UNC path in your alias definition.

> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)
> (Questions received via email cannot be answered.)

Re:D5 BDE does not see Network\LAN on PC Local drives

I am not sure what might cause this. All of my mapped network drives appear
in the drop down list.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)