dBASE Level III - how?

Sorry if this one has been answered 100 times before...

D5 by default generates a Visual DBase 7 type table when you use
CreateTable. MS Excel97 doesn't recognize this format. How do we trick D5
ino generating DBase III type tables on the fly without modifying the BDE
setup?

The client already has BDE on their network using a standard setup that they
are reluctant to change.

Oh, and this link referred to by TeamB is dead:
www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/utilities

Re:dBASE Level III - how?

In the BDE Administrator Set the Drivers, Native, DBase level to 3,
see the BDE help for more info.

news <p...@innovisjon.no> wrote in message

> Sorry if this one has been answered 100 times before...

> D5 by default generates a Visual DBase 7 type table when you use
> CreateTable. MS Excel97 doesn't recognize this format. How do we
trick D5
> ino generating DBase III type tables on the fly without modifying
the BDE
> setup?

> The client already has BDE on their network using a standard setup
that they
> are reluctant to change.

> Oh, and this link referred to by TeamB is dead:
> www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/utilities

Re:dBASE Level III - how?

>D5 by default generates a Visual DBase 7 type table when you use
>CreateTable. MS Excel97 doesn't recognize this format. How do we trick D5
>ino generating DBase III type tables on the fly without modifying the BDE
>setup?

You can set the TableLevel property to get a specific table level.  However you
must make sure that you do not specify any table characteristics not supported
in the level of table you are using.  The usual problems people run into are
specifying default fields and creating number fields.   You need to create dbase
number field type using the ftBCD type

 with Table1.FieldDefs do
  begin
    Clear;