reading FAT32 (for Long Filenames [LFN])

Silvan Kuipers wrote:

> Does anybody know how to read FAT32 for Long Filenames?
> And, does that work the same way under W-95 as under W-NT?

> Thanks!!
> Silvan (s_kuip...@hotmail.com)

    You may be confusing two data structures, the File Allocation Table
(FAT) and the
Directory.  FAT16 and FAT32 differ, basically, in having either 2-byte
(16-bit) or 4-byte
FAT entries, which translates to about 65,000 clusters/disk or 4 billion
cluster/disk.

     There are two basic "styles" of directory, one that supports long
file names, and one that doesn't.  Actually, the only difference between
a "short file name" directory and a
LFN one is the presence or absence of LFN entries -- code that "knows"
how to interpret LFN directories will necessarily work perfectly well
with the older 8.3 versions.

     Having now said that FATs and Directories are "independent", in
practice, they are loosely related.  MS File Structures in Windows 3.x
and its DOS siblings use 8.3 directories and FAT16.  Win95 originally
used FAT16 and LFN; Win95 OSR2 (or Win95b) and Win98 CAN (but don't have
to, and I believe do not, by default) use FAT32 and LFN.  NT (pre-2000)
uses FAT16 or NTFS (not compatible), and I believe it uses LFN (but am
not 100% sure if the structure is the same as Win9x).

Bob Schor

Re:reading FAT32 (for Long Filenames [LFN])

Silvan Kuipers <s.kuip...@ocrps.nl> wrote in message

>Does anybody know how to read FAT32 for Long Filenames?
>And, does that work the same way under W-95 as under W-NT?
>Thanks!!
>Silvan (s_kuip...@hotmail.com)

If you're using TP7 try downloading this zip file from simtel (192 Kb)
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/turbopas/dos70p20.zip

It comes with full source, examples and documentation.

Mik

Other Threads