Why won't TP7 run under Widows98?

BRYAN ATTEWELL wrote in message >
>Is there a fix or do I now buy Delphi?

>Bryan

Yo Brian...
Whereas I don't have any ready-made solution to your problem, I would like
to throw a comment and a possible solution your way.
First the comment:
As many people know, Micro$oft has an agenda. They want to get rid of quaint
old DOS and make us all use NT. Win95 was a steppingstone to that effect:
make us all change to 32-bit software (guess whose...) and then ease us all
into their next NT (is it codenamed 'Cairo'?). As you know, Bill Gates
couldn't give a shit about users wanting to do anything but write macros for
their office suite (read: Visual Basic).
Give UNIX/LINUX some consideration. If nothing else, then just to get out
from under a certain Seattle-based company's shadow.
Now the possible solution:
There is a program called System Commander (costs abot $100), which allows
you to boot into any OS you might fancy (Windows, UNIX, OS/2, Novell, etc).
Make a small patition (around 50 mB) and put good old DOS 6.22 in there
together with your TurboPascal. When you boot your screamer, choose DOS and
hack away in Pascal, while giving Mr. Gates the proverbial finger.
It worked for me, as they say.
Good luck

tfe...@ficnet.net

Send Bill Gates to Mars

Re:Why won't TP7 run under Widows98?

I have no problem running TP7 under Windows98.

Jeff Patterson wrote in message ...
>On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, ToF wrote:
>Ignore everything the other person said below.   The fact is TP 7 does
>run fine in Windows 98.  The problem is that 64 MB of RAM you have.  Read
>your  TP7 docs about changing the DPMI max and give it another try.

Does BP7 suffer the same problem? And does this problem actually apply to
the compiled programs, or is it only the IDE / compiler that doesn't like
it?

--
Lors, Paradice Software
Christchurch, New Zealand

Re:Why won't TP7 run under Widows98?

> > Jeff Patterson wrote in message ...

> > >On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, ToF wrote:
> > >Ignore everything the other person said below.   The fact is TP 7 does
> > >run fine in Windows 98.  The problem is that 64 MB of RAM you have.
Read
> > >your  TP7 docs about changing the DPMI max and give it another try.

> > Does BP7 suffer the same problem? And does this problem actually apply
> > the compiled programs, or is it only the IDE / compiler that doesn't
like
> > it?

> I'm not sure if affects just the IDE, nor do I know if it affects
> real-mode programs (I kinda doubt it would, but I don't have 64 MB of RAM
> to try it out).

Just to let you know, I'm running Borland Pascal 7.0 AND Turbo Pascal 7.0,
Both IDEs and the BPW.EXE under Win98 with 64MB of RAM, and I have noooo
problems whatsoever (after I fixed the CRT bug)

ToF (tfe...@ficnet.net) wrote:

: Give UNIX/LINUX some consideration. If nothing else, then just to get out
: from under a certain Seattle-based company's shadow.

Amen. I have just gotten Linux and have not installed it on a spare
machine at work. I may occasionally want my TP-written utilities (text
mode stuff). Anyone know how happy the command-line compiler and
TP-compiled programs are under the DOS emu in Linux? If this is a FAQ,
excuse me. I don't remember it from my last pass through the FAQ (and I do
read through it).

: There is a program called System Commander (costs abot $100), which allows
: you to boot into any OS you might fancy (Windows, UNIX, OS/2, Novell, etc).
: Make a small patition (around 50 mB) and put good old DOS 6.22 in there
: together with your TurboPascal. When you boot your screamer, choose DOS and
: hack away in Pascal, while giving Mr. Gates the proverbial finger.

Works for me, too. IBM PC-DOS 7 on one partition, OS/2 Warp Connect on
another, with a third partition waiting for Linux.

It is always nice to have a fall-back position for my TP stuff, though
I've had no trouble whatsoever with my TP stuff under OS/2 (from 2.0 w
service packs forward through v3.0 Warp Connect [blue spline]).

BTW, I have NT 4.0 at work as well, and a pretty {*word*193} transition release
of an app written in TP by a vendor (uses DPMI and overlays) runs OK under
NT. I haven't tried the IDE under 98 or NT, but I have had trouble with
all Borland apps under W95 that use the RTM memory manager. Something in
my company's W95 model blows it up. It happened as soon as we moved to the
Thinkpad 701C "Butterfly" and Cardbus-equipped laptops (Thinkpad 770 &
Panasonic CF-25 Mk III). I have to drop to DOS mode for these apps (TP7,
TC++, Reflex v2.0). The old machines (Thinkpad 360CSE) ran them OK under
OS/2 and W95. The 701C ran it OK under OS/2 but not W95. Irritating, but I
don't expect trusty old TP to hang in there forever.

David Firth   !
NEC PC-8201A  !  You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Tandy 102     !

David Firth (djfi...@freenet.columbus.oh.us) wrote:

: : Give UNIX/LINUX some consideration. If nothing else, then just to get out
: : from under a certain Seattle-based company's shadow.

: Amen. I have just gotten Linux and have not installed it on a spare
: machine at work. I may occasionally want my TP-written utilities (text
: mode stuff). Anyone know how happy the command-line compiler and
: TP-compiled programs are under the DOS emu in Linux?

Most programs work well.
If not try to recomple them with Free Pascal,
a Borland Pascal compatible 32bit Pascal compiler
for Linux, Dos and OS/2.
More info on my home page.

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg
hartn...@uni-freiburg.de   http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/

Other Threads