Trouble getting started with Delphi, Need Help!

I am just getting started with Delphi, so no flames please.

I am trying to get the program in Chapter 4-Jump Start of the Delphi
Getting Started book to work.  This is the GDS Dive Supply program.
Everything seems to compile except I can't get any information to be
displayed in the grid from the DEMODB.  If I use the Database Explorer or
other Delphi Tools, there is no problems.  I have recreated this project
several times and can't see the problem.  The application runs but still no
data and no errors.

What am I doing wrong?  What can I check?

P.S.  Yes, the Paradox BDE driver is setup and was choosen during
installation.

Re:Trouble getting started with Delphi, Need Help!

Enzo Maini wrote:

> I am trying to get the program in Chapter 4-Jump Start of the Delphi
> Getting Started book to work.  This is the GDS Dive Supply program.
> Everything seems to compile except I can't get any information to be
> displayed in the grid from the DEMODB.
> ...<snip>

I ran into the same problem, and someone in this news group helped me,
so I will try to return the favor.  I could not remember the solution
off the top of my head so I found this by searching DejaNews for
"delphi getting started".
--
Greg Shubert        gshub...@non-hp.fc.hp.com        (970) 229-2977
for Manpower        at Hewlett-Packard

Enzo Maini wrote:
>I am just getting started with Delphi, so no flames please.

>I am trying to get the program in Chapter 4-Jump Start of the Delphi
>Getting Started book to work.  This is the GDS Dive Supply program.
>Everything seems to compile except I can't get any information to be
>displayed in the grid from the DEMODB.  If I use the Database Explorer or
>other Delphi Tools, there is no problems.  I have recreated this project
>several times and can't see the problem.  The application runs but still no
>data and no errors.

>What am I doing wrong?  What can I check?

Have you set the Active property on the TTable? This is not mentioned
in the book and catches everyone.

--
Bob Cousins, Software Engineer.
Home page at http://www.demon.co.uk/sirius-{*word*104}netics/

In article <01bb9d07$56e4fcc0$6dead5cc@enzomain>, "Enzo Maini" <enma...@pcnet.com> wrote:
>What am I doing wrong?  What can I check?

Nothing. It's just one of those very annoying Borland Bugs.

Set the activate parameter from you Table on true.

Slight overlook in the manual.

Happy Hacking The Graphical Gnome

| Rob den Braasem    | Voice :-31-79-3531520 |
|                    | Fax   :-31-79-3513561 |
|                    | Mail  : r...@ktibv.nl  |
|                    |-----------------------+---------------------+
| KTI bv             | "I die when it's time for me to die.        |
| P.O. Box 86        | So let me live  my life the way I want to." |
| 2700 AB Zoetermeer |                                             |
| The Netherlands    |   Jimi Hendrix                              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------+

b...@lintilla.demon.co.uk (Bob Cousins) wrote:
>>I am trying to get the program in Chapter 4-Jump Start of the Delphi
>>Getting Started book to work.  This is the GDS Dive Supply program.
>>Everything seems to compile except I can't get any information to be
>>displayed in the grid from the DEMODB.  If I use the Database Explorer or
>>other Delphi Tools, there is no problems.  I have recreated this project
>>several times and can't see the problem.  The application runs but still no
>>data and no errors.
>Have you set the Active property on the TTable? This is not mentioned
>in the book and catches everyone.

Well thanks! I got that problem too and was thinking it was my fault!

Other Threads