Briefcase Model - LockType

Delphi5/ADO/SQL Server 7.
I find that my app will only update to the SQLServer if the TADODataSet
LockType is set to ltOptimistic, but in the same app the TADODataSet  needs
to be set to ltBatchOptimistic when connected to the local files.
Have I missed something?
Ian

Re:Briefcase Model - LockType

>Delphi5/ADO/SQL Server 7.
>I find that my app will only update to the SQLServer if the TADODataSet
>LockType is set to ltOptimistic, but in the same app the TADODataSet  needs
>to be set to ltBatchOptimistic when connected to the local files.
>Have I missed something?

Of course you are missing something but you are not providing much information
to help anyone figure out what it is.

here are a couple of guesses where your problem might be.
BatchOptomistic requires you to be using client side cursors and you must
ApplyUpdates to save the changes

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

> >Delphi5/ADO/SQL Server 7.
> >I find that my app will only update to the SQLServer if the TADODataSet
> >LockType is set to ltOptimistic, but in the same app the TADODataSet
needs
> >to be set to ltBatchOptimistic when connected to the local files.
> >Have I missed something?
> Of course you are missing something but you are not providing much
information
> to help anyone figure out what it is.

> here are a couple of guesses where your problem might be.
> BatchOptomistic requires you to be using client side cursors and you must
> ApplyUpdates to save the changes

> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

My TADODataSet settings (briefly are)
CursorLocation = clUseClient
CursorType = ctKeySet
LockType = as described
MarshalOptions = moMarshalAll

My TADOConnection settings:
CursorLocation = clUseClient
IsolationLevel = ilReadCommitted
Mode = cmShareDenyNone

Ian

Re:Briefcase Model - LockType

Hi Ian,

> My TADODataSet settings (briefly are)
> CursorLocation = clUseClient
> CursorType = ctKeySet

These settings are incompatible. Client cursors can only be of ctStatic
type.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/adosql/adoprg02_1svj.asp

Thrse

Re:Briefcase Model - LockType

Try this tool, http://www.adoanywhere.com/download/aaBrowse2_5_2_1.zip
It will allow you to try out the ADO settings you want. If the provider
modifies your requested settings you will be notified. We use it all the
time to confirm our ado settings!!

Mike.

"Thrse Hanquet" <therese.hanq...@skynet.be> wrote in message

> Hi Ian,

> > My TADODataSet settings (briefly are)
> > CursorLocation = clUseClient
> > CursorType = ctKeySet

> These settings are incompatible. Client cursors can only be of ctStatic
> type.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/adosql/adoprg02_1svj.asp

> Thrse

Re:Briefcase Model - LockType

Hi Michael,

> Try this tool, http://www.adoanywhere.com/download/aaBrowse2_5_2_1.zip
> It will allow you to try out the ADO settings you want. If the
provider
> modifies your requested settings you will be notified. We use it all
the
> time to confirm our ado settings!!

I don't think it is needed in this case (and in many others).
You can do that simply with the IDE.
You just have to try to open the TADODataSet at design time.
For example, ctKeyset will become ctStatic after opening a TADODataSet
at design time with clUseClient as cursor location.

Thrse

Re:Briefcase Model - LockType

>My TADODataSet settings (briefly are)
>CursorLocation = clUseClient
>CursorType = ctKeySet
>LockType = as described
>MarshalOptions = moMarshalAll

>My TADOConnection settings:
>CursorLocation = clUseClient
>IsolationLevel = ilReadCommitted
>Mode = cmShareDenyNone

That works when I try it although CtKeySet changes to CtStatic when the query
opens.
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com