Ahhh! objects and file access

Hello,
        I know that you probably have a million questions sent to you everyday.
Therefore, if you can't get to mine, I understand. My problem is that I'm
designing a gradebook program in Tp 7.0 I'm trying to start using objects
so that I can get ready for C or C++. When I design the grade book, I want
it to do what a teacher's grade book would.  Basically, keep class roster
files, activity roster files, etc. However, I can't decide the best way to
organize the assignment files. In an assignment object I want to keep the
student name, and grade received on the assignment. Sounds simple?  Well I
don't know if I should keep one huge file for each class and sort the
records upon opening the program and accessing them randomly, OR keeping a
different assignment file for each student and naming them. (This would
pose fragments
in systematic filenames etc.

        What is the best way to do it , or is there a better way. Thanks, if you
can help

  Later,

 ;P Matt Russell ;P (Responding by e-mail is cooler)

 mruss...@access.k12.wv.us

Re:Ahhh! objects and file access

Mr. Matthew A. Russell wrote:

> Hello,
>         I know that you probably have a million questions sent to you everyday.
> Therefore, if you can't get to mine, I understand. My problem is that I'm
> designing a gradebook program in Tp 7.0 I'm trying to start using objects
> so that I can get ready for C or C++. When I design the grade book, I want
> it to do what a teacher's grade book would.  Basically, keep class roster
> files, activity roster files, etc. However, I can't decide the best way to
> organize the assignment files. In an assignment object I want to keep the
> student name, and grade received on the assignment. Sounds simple?  Well I
> don't know if I should keep one huge file for each class and sort the
> records upon opening the program and accessing them randomly, OR keeping a
> different assignment file for each student and naming them. (This would
> pose fragments
> in systematic filenames etc.

>         What is the best way to do it , or is there a better way. Thanks, if you
> can help

Put it in one large file, then encrypt it using the triple-mode in
Blowfish.

That'll keep the hackers busy so they can't get in and change the grades.

Mike

In article <33B33F44....@Today.Thanks>, Mike  <NoS...@Today.Thanks> wrote:
>Mr. Matthew A. Russell wrote:

[big snip]
>> What is the best way to do it , or is there a better way. Thanks, if you
>> can help

>Put it in one large file, then encrypt it using the triple-mode in
>Blowfish.

>That'll keep the hackers busy so they can't get in and change the grades.

What's to stop them from executing the original program?  If a hacker actually
does gain access to the system, it would be trivial to run the grading program.
Besides, nowadays high-school students just scan in their report cards, modify
them, and laser print them out.  At $15 a card... well, it's a lucrative
business venture. ;)

>Mike

--Mark Iuzzolino
one of the monst...@monstersoft.com  |  "Who do you want to kill today?"